Reel to reel

I’m entertaining the idea of purchasing a reel to reel to record my albums on and also use to possibly soften the digital age a bit. Does anyone know where or if NEW blank tapes can be purchased? Are there any thoughts on a resurgence of R2R and if blank media will become more easily accessible?
128x128luvrockin

Presently, I'm correcting something I stated on this thread. I recorded some vinyl at 15 IPS. Now I'm recording over that at 7 1/2. 15 IPS is reserved for live recording; there's not enough improvement for the added expense with records, 7 1/2 works just fine.
I agree.
I record everything at 7.5ips including streamed hires music.
Tape costs too high to use up at higher speed.
Apologies Orpheus for not adding my updated status over the last several months. Work kept me away from home for most of the summer. And my Avenger purchase was a bust, with horrendous bass feedback at all but the lowest listening levels. Long story short, I returned the Avenger (Since the Vendor nor VPI was able to resolve it) and purchased a mate for my Classic 3, a brandy new Classic Signature, which, IMHO is everything the Avenger is and more at less than 1/4 the price. (The intention with the Avenger purchase (a demo, not full msrp) was to be able to play mono and stereo lp's on the same tt)  My dealer set up the signature and sent it to me here in CT. I double checked the techs set up with Analog magik and a smart tractor. All looks good. The tech said she did not get any resonance, so I put on one of my fav lp’s, heard crystal clear music, so I turned the volume knob up.... then Vrroooom! Same bass resonance as the Avenger. The combo of cart and tonearm (Soundsmith Zephyr Mkiii ES and the VPI’s 3d) were present in both setups. My dealer has tried to figure it out but is at a loss.

Fast forward to the past couple of weeks... When my tech went on vacation, I decided to reach out to soundsmith as I am convinced there is a tonearm/cart mismatch. Surprisingly, the owner called me directly, giving me some standard advice and steps to take, which, of course, didn’t work as they were directed to mechanical resonance.  I have taken great pains over the last few years to purchase and assemble a rack that is resonant free, and has been perfect up until now, so I had my doubts it was a mechanical resonance.  Putting 4 70 durometer domes under the tt's 4 feet did absolutely nothing.

Satisfied,it is not a mechanical resonance, we are now down to the unipivot needle being dull, which is so wrong since the tt is brand new, and the cup looks damaged as well. VPI is sending me a new needle and cup assembly (and the hydraulic tonearm lift assembly as this one is stuck). I will be forwarding the tonearm with cart, needles and cup to SS and pray they can resolve this without a big repair bill. But I need to hear it from a pro that it’s the 3d arm creating the resonance or the dealer probably won't act on a request for a different (metal) tonearm OR a less compliant cart... the cart is low compliance, the tonearm is low mass... A bad combo. I did a quick test to check my theory... I moved the aluminum 10.5i tonearm from the classic to the signature. Voila! No resonance. That arm has the original VPI/Soundsmith Zephyr installed. Never ever had a resonance issue.

So while I work at making tt woes to go away, I plan on recording some of my favorite LP’s onto the Otari at 7.5 IPS. The TEAC is working fine as well. I just love that auto-reverse!

Yes Orpheus, it does seem we’ve followed the same upgrade paths in regard to reels. :)

And thanks for the youtube links. I was a teenager in the early 70’s and was playing with old mono reel to reels that my Audio Visual department at high school didn’t want anymore. Had no idea there were so many other quality decks out there, until I got my 1506 in 1983. Quite a blast from the past for me.

And finally, glad to hear my plan to dub my LP recordings at 7.5 ips is still a sound plan. Now that the cold weather is here, time for some serious recording time. :)

Happy Listening.
gusser

Gusser, I just checked your post, and it warms my heart that you share in my passion for the reel to reel. When I went back to those "you tube" links that I posted, it brought back so many wonderful memories; that was a time when so many good things were happening, and there were many stereo stores to listen and dream of new purchases.

I just got some brand new tape from ATR Magnetics, and I highly recommend it. The price keeps going up but that's life in the fast lane.

What amazes me is the fact that after recording select music, I can listen to it over and over, hearing something new each time.

https://audioimpressions.wordpress.com/2016/03/31/long-play-tapespyral-or-atr/

We're in audio heaven, enjoy it.
@orpheus10 

Which tape did you get from ATR?

And thanks for that link, great article that I really enjoyed.