Recommendations Needed: Upgrading from ARC CD-1

I am looking for recommendations for CDP upgrade. I am about 1 year in to this hobby and have assembled the following system over the past 9 months:
- Power = ARC VT-60
- Pre = Rogue Audio 99
- Digital = ARC CD-1
- Interconnects = Kimber Hero
- Speaker cables = Audioquest Granite
- Speakers = Vandersteen 2ce Signature

I enjoy what I have but feel that the ARC CD-1 is too laid back (especially in the highs) and not revealing of all the music on many discs.

Any recommendations for upgrade <= $3K? I am willing to consider single box CD, single box CD/SACD, and separate DAC.

Thanks!
jg_deitrich
You might consider system tweaks such as Symposium roller blocks, upgraded cable, and spikes. I am not sure that the ARC CD1 is the problem. I had one here a few months ago and thought it was very good.

Also, the Vandersteen 2ce speakers respond enormously to set up procedures. You might take a look at how they are interacting with the room. Sometime this is all that is needed to completely "lock in" the sound you are looking for.
I agree with alberporter the ARC cd-1 is an excellent cdp. I would say your vt-60 is a much weaker spot in the chain than the cd-1. My first priority would be going to a vt-100 if you have upgrade money. You were talking in terms of 3K for a cdp and you could get a used vt100 for less than that and it would make a large difference in your system.I am not familiar with the rogue 99 but i can tell you there is definite synergy using an ARC preamp with other ARC equipment. Another pre that works very well with ARC is the audio note M2. I also think you could do much better with your speaker cables. Alon makes a very nice cable called black orpheus. Nordost Blue Heaven works well. My favorite is Nirvana but that is a little pricier.

My priorities in your sytsem in order of implementation would be 1)vt100 2)speaker cables 3)see if you can demo an ARC preamp in your system 4)better ic's used magnum vi or Nirvana 5)Albertporter is right the roller blocks are very good. Not quite as good but cheaper and still effective black diamond mk iv cones 6) if you still want a cd upgrade get a used ARC dac 3.
I would recommend that before you start changing major components, you should try some high quality silver interconnects. They have a tendency to be more revealing at the high end than copper. Some cables I would recommend are the Kimber Select 1030 (expensive), Silver Audio Silver Bullet 4.0, or the Harmonic Technology Pro-Silway Mk II (combination silver/copper). Many people on Audiogon have also recommended Acoustic Zen silver cables, but I have never tried them. Although I use silver interconnects, I have copper speaker cables from Kimber, and the combination works very well.

Audio Research makes great amplifiers, and I'm not so sure that changing your VT-60 to the VT-100 will get you the added detail you are looking for. A speaker change might give you better performance. I have heard the Vandersteens extensively, and while they are very good, I much prefer the PSB Stratus Gold i's, which can be found used for less than $1500 here on Audiogon. My point is that I think you can get the results you are looking for by spending less and without having to blow your remaining budget on a cd player change.
I think the 3 previous posters nailed it. The CD-1 is a very good machine. I have an all Audio Research system, including a CD1 LS25MKII and VT100. I too, was ready to upgrade from the CD1, but decided to try a couple of tweaks first. 2 of the biggest improvements I noticed with the CD1 involved using ARC's litzlink interconnects, and the use of brass cone supports and weights from www.mapleshaderecords.com For around $300 the improvements were astonishing.
Kinsekd is right many things can be done to twek a cd1 not to mention a power cord. But I have to say again the difference between a vt60 and a vt100 is huge. Not just watts but quality. We all have our favorite i/c's and cables and they certainly can make a difference. I think you are really selling your system short with those speaker cables. But back to the point. If you like your speakers and you like the Audio Research sound a vt100 will make a bigger change than anything else in your system assuming that the Rouge is a good preamp and has synergy with the rest of the system.