Recommendation for tube preamp

Hi, all. Initially I was going to ask, which would you rather own – Audio Research LS2B or (BAT) VK-3i? But realized I’m sure there are plenty of other tube options. As you can gather, I’m looking at around $2000 range. It will be driving ML 27.5 amp, which is partly why I’m looking specifically at balanced options. But I guess there’s no harm in using unbalanced>balanced cables? I listen mostly to jazz on vinyl, so I enjoy the details but not to clinical levels where it’s dry. I want warmth. Fine with a phono stage included, but not needed.

Appreciate any insight. Thanks.

hoytis
Post removed 
Post removed 

Both the Audio Research LS2B and BAT VK-3i are excellent choices, especially if you're seeking warmth and musicality. The BAT VK-3i is known for its rich, tube-driven warmth and spacious soundstage, while the LS2B offers a more neutral, detailed presentation but still retains some tube warmth. Since you're looking for balanced connections with your ML 27.5, the VK-3i might be a better fit as it’s fully balanced, whereas the LS2B is hybrid balanced.

Using unbalanced-to-balanced cables is fine, but you may not fully benefit from the balanced design. Given your preference for warmth and jazz listening, the BAT VK-3i would likely deliver a more engaging, non-clinical sound.

By the way, I have a BAT VK-3i for sale in excellent condition. If you’re interested, feel free to reach out for more details or to discuss it further.

Good luck!