Real or Surreal. Do you throw accuracy out the window for "better" sound?

I visited a friend recently who has an estimated $150,000 system. At first listen it sounded wonderful, airy, hyper detailed, with an excellent well delineated image, an audiophile's dream. Then we put on a jazz quartet album I am extremely familiar with, an excellent recording from the analog days. There was something wrong. On closing my eyes it stood out immediately. The cymbals were way out in front of everything. The drummer would have needed at least 10 foot arms to get to them. I had him put on a female vocalist I know and sure enough there was sibilance with her voice, same with violins. These are all signs that the systems frequency response is sloped upwards as the frequency rises resulting in more air and detail.  This is a system that sounds right at low volumes except my friend listens with gusto. This is like someone who watches TV with the color controls all the way up. 

I have always tried to recreate the live performance. Admittedly, this might not result in the most attractive sound. Most systems are seriously compromised in terms of bass power and output. Maybe this is a way of compensating. 

There is no right or wrong. This is purely a matter of preference accuracy be damn.  What would you rather, real or surreal?

128x128mijostyn

The feeling with a piece of music is here in me positive, negative, indifferent , and all in between WITH any sound system even very mediocre one...

I was in audio hobby to discover way to improve ANY sound system beginning with the low cost one i owned...

Sound CANNOT change the felt musical impact, only convey it in a more impactful way but cannot change it...You dont like a piece of music you always hate because you listen to it in the best possible system...

Music is not sound... But through good sound and in spite of bad sound ... music is supra sensible meanings coupled to sensible information ...Sound is a physical medium...If you tap a fruit with your finger through sound vibrating modes you perceive a suprasensible meaning through a sensible vibration interpreted qualitatively by your ears/body : the fruit is ripe or not...

I figure it out only after reading you a second time...😊

My english mastery is shitty and i am familiar only with technical abstract vocabulary with no dialogue  with no  humor or subtleties or slang ...

But there is plenty of people who despise so much audiophiles as "tin foil hat" or people who listen to the sound not to music, i reacted to give an opposite view... I consider myself a satisfied audiophile who listen all type of classical music in jazz, european classical, or Indian and Persian and near east classical or fado and some other traditionals... ...

if i read your posts you are one too...

@mahgister

That was me with the tongue in cheek comment.

Did you consider that maybe your friend can't hear higher frequencies as well as you do and over-compensating because of it.

@asctim 

You hit on exactly the issues at play. First of all "feeling" is very much a part of the way a system sounds. You not only hear music, but you also feel it. Second of all is experience. You do not know what you are missing, what is possible, until you experience it. I was lucky in that I worked my way through graduate school working in the high end HiFi business. Of all the systems I have heard over the years only three could fool me into thinking a voice was in the room with me, that eyes close I could be at a live performance, three systems out of hundreds. Most people have never heard a system do this magic act. That is not to say they have never heard an impressive system, a system that impresses immediately is more likely to be hopelessly colored. 

How does having a system that performs at this level "feel"? No different. I built my first system from Dynakits when I was 13 and an evolving process has taken place since then. I did not experience reference system #1 until I was 23. I have been doing touch up for the last 20 years or so, conquering minor errors or weaknesses. I have three more changes/additions to make and I will be 99.9% at target. Anything I do after that will be frill unless there is some major new technology 

One more thing I would like to point out is Audiophiles can be hopelessly traditional.They tend to avoid new technologies that can make significant improvements in system performance like digital signal processing. Most excellent systems will never achieve greatness without it. I was at a friends house last weekend. I came with my laptop and microphone to measure his system. The character of the sound accepting the bass was excellent. The bass and imaging sucked and this was a $125,000 system. The subwoofers were not set up correctly (easy to fix), but more importantly the right speaker was down 10 dB at 300 Hz. This is due to the room not the speaker and this is what is screwing up the image. You can mess around with acoustic treatments until the cows come home and you are not going to get these speakers within 1 dB of each other without turning the room into an anechoic chamber. Digital EQ is the only way you are going to conquer this. Next time I go over I am going to bring a digital preamp to show him what happens when you make these adjustments. I find it interesting that very few "audiophiles" have ever measured their system. They want to do it by ear. Right.

No EQ can replace ears tuning+ physical acoustics... EQ is a tool not the main tool...

someone who know among others say this :

«The problem with digital room correction is that it only addresses the frequency domain. Depending on the room, it may do a rather good job.

However, if your room is causing a 30 dB cut at 100 Hz, these digital systems won’t be able to fix this. Most of them can only boost the signal by something like 6 dB, which isn’t enough to cover the 30 dB lost by your room acoustics.

As far as the time domain goes, I think it’s obvious to note that no amount of EQ will fix this problem.

I’ve used both acoustic treatment and the IK Multimedia ARC system. My findings? I heard an immediate difference as soon as I put up some acoustic foam to the left and right of my loudspeakers. The sound was instantly tighter and more defined. With ARC, there was a difference, but it wasn’t as dramatic.

The goal of this article is not to sway you from digital correction products. They can be a valuable tool in helping create an accurate mixing environment. I love the JBL LSR monitors. They sound amazing, even without any room correction.

Digital room correction, when added to acoustic treatment, can be very effective. However, nothing…I repeat nothing…can replace the need for acoustic treatment.»

https://www.prosoundweb.com/in-the-studio-acoustic-treatment-vs-digital-room-correction/

I tuned my last room a dedicated one with a distributed array of 100 Helmholtz resonators mechanically tuned... I used many other devices ... All homemade ...

I call this a mechanical equalizer because i worked with some large band frequencies not precise frequencies... I use a compensation and balance effect by the numbers of resonators, their location and distribution and tuning ...

Saying that we cannot trust our ears say a lot about the people saying it more than about acoustics ... I disagree... My room was not PERFECT, but optimal for my ears structure and filters and ASTOUNDING with immersiveness at no cost because homemade ( not esthetical for sure) 😊...

I had not the wallet for paying 100,000 bucks which is the minimal cost of a tuned acoustic room ...

Thinking that some electronic EQ will replace acoustic and psycho-acoustics knowledge is preposterous for me..

Now guess why all acousticians use their ears?

This is due to the room not the speaker and this is what is screwing up the image. You can mess around with acoustic treatments until the cows come home and you are not going to get these speakers within 1 dB of each other without turning the room into an anechoic chamber. Digital EQ is the only way you are going to conquer this. Next time I go over I am going to bring a digital preamp to show him what happens when you make these adjustments. I find it interesting that very few "audiophiles" have ever measured their system. They want to do it by ear. Right.