Question on Luxman L-AX550ii balanced inputs

Hi all.

I've been googling like crazy all day, and I cannot seem to find an answer to this simple question.

What is the MAX input voltage that the balanced inputs on the L-550AXii can handle? (Ok, maybe not simple.)

I'm looking at a source that puts out 5.8 volts max, and I'm concerned that that might be bad for the amp.

I've written Luxman, but I don't know how soon they'll get back to me, and I'd really like an answer.

Thanks!

Ag insider logo xs@2xdasherma

Thanks @nwres.  The source does not have a variable output unfortunately.

I don't understand the math behind figuring the input voltage -- I have heard (but only on the internet) that a balanced input can generally take up to 10 volts input, but I'm not sure how much to trust that figure.

I owned and loved the 550AXII before upgrading within the lineup. It is very robust.

What is your source component?

I have a CL-38u preamp with balanced inputs and the instructions indicate the maximum input voltage is 2.5 V.

I was told that this input was designed for use with a Luxman CD player.

I think you can use other input devices, but the output needs to be 2.5 v max, otherwise the input will be overdriven resulting in distorted sound

@nwres the source component (that I'm only considering at this point) is a Holo Audio Spring 3.

@jperry 2.5V max? I was under the impression that the output on most modern balanced outputs was 4.0V. Is it a different case for tube amps than it is for solid state amps?

Go to this page, and at the bottom there is a button to download "catalog".

Then go to the specifications for the Luxman CL-38uC and read footnote 2.

I was unable to post a direct link to the "catalog' in pdf

https://www.luxman.com/product/detail.php?id=27

Have a great day.

Jim Perry