Project Debut III vs. Music Hall MMF 5?

Hello All,

I am setting up my first turntable. I’m looking to spend $600 - $1,200 all told between a turntable, phono preamp, cartridge, etc. preamp (My receiver, a NAD 720 bee, does not have a phono preamp).

I am considering the “Project Debut III” ($299) with the “Tube Box SE” ($549) or “Tube Box II” ($349) this was the set-up recommended to me by what seems like an excellent hi-fi shop in Boston with a very knowledgeable staff. However, the Project Debut III was the only table they had in my price range.

A friend of mine has the Music Hall MMF 7, which sounds amazing to me but is out of my price range. I was told that Music Hall and Project are made by the same people or in the same factory, or something like that, so I’m wondering if the Music Hall tables are basically the same family of turntable as the Project but a step up in quality. I would be happy to pay a little more for a table like the music hall mmf 5 ($629) over the Project, but have not had the chance to listen to listen and compare tables.

So, will the extra $300+ for the MMF 5 mean much better sound than the Project Debut III)? If so, I am happy to pay it. If I go with the Project, does it make sense to spend more on a phono pre-amp (the Tube Box SE or Tube Box II) than the actual turntable?

Since purchasing a semi decent sound system a few months ago I can’t stop listening to my collection of recordings. What a difference! I had no idea. I’m looking forward to starting in on the vinyl. Thanks for your advice.

-Bruno
bruno1
Hello All,

So, I’ve got my Technics turntable which has been modified by KAB with the fluid damping system and the Cardas tonearm rewire. I’m using a Creek OBH 18 pre-amp and the system is sounding fantastic. I’ve got a lot of old LPs that I got for cheap so there are lots of pops and scratches. The few pristine records I have sound really phenomenal. Thanks for your buying advice everyone!

One thing that makes me a little worried is how much my speaker heads jump when I’m playing LPs. Even when I’m playing records at a moderate to low level the speakers jump like I’m playing a CD at top volume. Is this anything to worry about? Thanks for bearing with a vinyl newbie.

Cheers,

Bruno
I don't know what you mean by "speaker heads" jumping. Do you mean the woofer cones make large excursions?

What cartridge are you using? Maybe you have a bit of a cartridge/tonearm mismatch, or need some vibration isolation for the turntable. What's it sitting on?

If my experience is any indicator, you will get a noticeable improvement by switching from the stock headshell to a Sumiko.

For cartridge I'm using a Denon DL-160 and most of my used LPs are quiet. In fact, it plays records I knew to be noisy much quieter. I believe it has to do with the stylus shape and also setup.

Clean your old records at least with a Discwasher or the Audio Technica system and see what you get. You may also lower record noise experimenting with turntable mats and the tonearm's vertical tracking angle (VTA).
Hello,

Yes, the bass and midrange speaker cones move in and out much more when I play my records than when I play CDs. I am using a Stanton 681 MK eee cartridge. – This cartridge was recommended by KAB, who I bought the table from. Perhaps it would be worthwhile to try a different cartridge?

So far, I’ve been using an old fashioned RCA discwasher – just a wooden block with fabric on the bottom and a bottle of fluid to go on the fabric.

The turntable is sitting on a wooden sideboard which is full of dishes etc.

Thanks,

Bruno
You should put the most money into the table and arm, then phonopre, and lastly the cartridge.

If $1200 is your budget, go with the MMF7. You can get them cheap right now because it's been replaced with the MMF7.1.

Add to that a Cambridge 640P and a Denon DL103 or DL160 and you'll have some damn nice sound.