PREAMPLIFIER UPGRADE QUESTION

My system consists of the following:

1. Martin Logan Impressions 11A

2. Rogue RP-1 preamplifier

3. Lumin U@ mini streamer with Chord Qutest DAC.

4. Bryston 4B3 Cubed power amplifier

I just purchased the Bryston amplifier and it has brought my speakers to life. From dull and listless to vibrant and alive.

I would like to upgrade my preamp and my three choices are as follows:

1. Rogue Audio RP-9-tubes

2. Bryston BR-19 which is fully balanced.

3. Conrad Johnson ET6 or ET6SE

My cables are Cardas Clear Cygnus

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

128x128kjl1065
Post removed 

Gentlemen,

We saw the mentions of our preamps here, and the critique of our website, backertlabs.com.  
We were confused at first, because we thought it was fine… Then we accessed it on a mobile phone.

We can now say in response to those comments, we are in violent agreement!

We just simplified the website.

Hope that’s better.

Keep on listening…. Andy

The only problem with the Conrad Johnson ET-6SE is the fact that there is not balance controls where I can control left and right speaker volume. This is made necessary due to my seating arrangement.

@kjl1065 

Your preamp, located between the source and the power amp plays two important roles in the audio setup - source selection and volume control, and should do without adding tonal colorations so "clarity and linearity" are the key to be a top notch preamp. If you have some knowledge of analog circuits and basic technical skills you can buy a used preamp such as Accuphase Esoteric (balanced inputs and outputs a must) on ebay and replace the volume potentiometer with a new Alpha or Allnic motorized pot (size of a soda can). Probably the preamp is the brain of your audio system. Or you can simply bypass it to connect the DAC directly into the power amp if your DAC has a volume control and digital inputs.

A vote for the RP-9 here. I find it so quiet and smooth. Very pleasing to my ear, especially with my warmish McIntosh solid state amplifiers, now paired with my Rogue ST-100. It has the tubes and features I find useful, balance adjustable via remote, processor loop, also controllable from the remote, and even Home Theater bypass, which I’m not currently using, but a nice to have. Display can also be controlled via remote.
I applaud your decision to work with a dealer, I think they bring more value to your system than any single component.