Preamp after Manley Steelhead?

Hi guys.
Should I need to place a Pre-amp after my Steelhead and before the power amps, do you suggest to use the variable outs from the steelhead or the fixed outputs?
Thanks
Mark
mark_passer
Yes at the $7300 price point, you'd think that they were using the best parts possible. The engineer was gently jiggling all the electrolytic capacitors and saying how their being kind of loose would effect the sound too. There were numerous areas he thought the unit could be improved upon - including the somewhat thin chassis acting like a spring. Perhaps if you have someone knowledgeable like that in your area, it might be worth taking a look.

The idea of modifying a Steelhead is pretty exciting because the fundamental product with all its "cheap" parts is quite good.

Oh... Also... I measured 5.5 inches behind the Steelhead attenuator - I think that is enough space to accommodate the DACT attenuator and remote control motor kit from DIYCable.com This would certainly add to the convenience of the Manley Steelhead.
Manley makes a line source switcher now called a Skipjack, which was originally intended for Å-B comparison of components. This can be used for multiple line sources to be attached to the volume controlled line input..
I use my Yamaha RX Z9 as a digital line source input for SACD and CD/Redbook and home theatre into the line input of the Steelhead. Cartridge inputs are, of course, direct.
I had the same impression that Cohnaudio had when connecting the Steelhead directly at first. I thought it was somewhat lean. I had it several months, then connected it directly again using the line source input, and did some serious comparison with my Sonic Frontiers preamp. There was no comparison, the Steelhead as a line source preamplifier was much, much better, so the Sonic Frontiers is now sold. The Steelhead gave me a bit of "Sound" education in that regard.
Tube rolling does help but is probably system dependent. I use the Tung Sol 5968 in the 7044 slots now and I love the warm, punchy sound used with some Ediswan tubes in the 6922 position. Mullard and Amperex 6dj8's are also excellent choices for the 6922 position and can be used to voice according to system and taste. Triple mica 7044's from raytheon are also much better sounding in the 7044 position, being much cleaner and clearer than the stock GE.
i would like to know what the alleged "cheap parts" are. When I open the Steelhead it looks like a solemnly well built piece of kit.
Bwhite- I also found that the 5867 does not work well in the Steelhead and am using NOS 7044's rather than the stock ones. For sure, rolling to NOS 6922's really brings out the potential of the unit.
I am sorry, I meant 5687 tung sol, which as some of the other posters seem to indicate, depends on taste. I use them now and like them very much.