Pre amp replacement?? Help

too am am a newbie. I currently have a Denon Dp47f/Grado MF3.. hardly use, needs new stylus or upgrade to a MC cartridge. I have a MK Cotter MK1 step up that I’ve never used. I was going to get into but never did.

my pre/pro is actually a SoNy 9000es. Used it for years, but I’m thinking it’s time to upgrade ?

my speakers are Mirage 760’s and a pair of old pioneer HPM-100

my amp is a Carver 806x multichannel amp thats bridgeable/ I have it bridged two channel 360wpc I believe.

I need help
128x128free_rf
Thanks for the response. I’ve gotten plenty of wonderful years from the Sony, but you’re right, I’m not using it for all it’s capabilities now. I just ordered a new stylus for my Grado MF 3. I may sell my MK Cotter as well. That should give me a nice budget. I do digital and hi res audio music. A nice pre amp .. yes
Just image the compromises when building a $1000 pre-pro.  Now take that same budget to build a pure preamp.  I'm not knocking Sony ES.  They are nice.  You will be better served with a 2 channel system.
$2k is probably overkill when looking at the rest of your system.  I'm not trying to "knock" what you have, just keeping things balanced.
You can get a heck of a lot of preamp for $1000 to $1500.  Make sure it has a phono pre built in.  Other things you need to consider are remote control and digital inputs.
Although old school, the Pioneers are legendary.  I think that if you split the budget between a pre and a power amp you might get more bang for your budget.  If you are not using the Carver for multi channel, sell it and add that to your budget.  I'm not sure on the sound of the Mirage.
FYI:  I'm not a fan of Carver, sorry but that does sway my opinion.  I would prefer 36 tube watts over 360 bridged Carver watts.