Pre amp replacement?? Help

too am am a newbie. I currently have a Denon Dp47f/Grado MF3.. hardly use, needs new stylus or upgrade to a MC cartridge. I have a MK Cotter MK1 step up that I’ve never used. I was going to get into but never did.

my pre/pro is actually a SoNy 9000es. Used it for years, but I’m thinking it’s time to upgrade ?

my speakers are Mirage 760’s and a pair of old pioneer HPM-100

my amp is a Carver 806x multichannel amp thats bridgeable/ I have it bridged two channel 360wpc I believe.

I need help
128x128free_rf
The Sony is 15 years old.  DACs have come a long way.  If you use this for theater, you really need 3 matching front speakers.  The Mirage or HPM can be saved for rears.  Your Carver could work fine depending on the speakers.  Also many pre-pro's won't have phono built in.
1-what is your budget
2-what will you use most theater or 2 channel?
Morning, thanks for your response. I’ve given up the home theater stuff. I use everything for music listening only. The pro/pro is bypassed for two channels audio. It has a phone stage, but I’m thinking it’s time to upgrade to a better one or use my MC step up with a new cart Everything sounds good. But maybe it’s time to upgrade some stuff. HPM are stored away. I just use the Mirages. Budget? Hmmm ... 500-1000k
If you aren't using it for theater there is a lot wasted in the pre-pro.  A dedicated 2 channel pre would be an improvement.  I'm guessing that since your table isn't really working that you either use radio or digital?  If you need a tuner then look at a nice receiver with pre-amp outputs for future upgrades?  If you use a digital source then a pre-amp with a nice dac would do wonders.  A peachtree or similar would be nice and clean.  That's your first $500 (less what you sell the sony for).
Next would be a cartridge.  You don't need to spend a fortune.  Lot's of choices in the range of a Shure m97 that will get vinyl going.  Check out needle doctor.  
That's where I'd start, I think
Thanks for the response. I’ve gotten plenty of wonderful years from the Sony, but you’re right, I’m not using it for all it’s capabilities now. I just ordered a new stylus for my Grado MF 3. I may sell my MK Cotter as well. That should give me a nice budget. I do digital and hi res audio music. A nice pre amp .. yes