power up and shut down

I feel foolish for posting this, but:
I recently purchased a new preamp (Fi Y) which has no mute switch. My previous preamp was an Audible Illusions Mod3, so I didn't have an issue with the "power up and shut down" procedure.
My question: Does it harm the speakers, or other components, to only turn the tubed preamp on and off, while leaving the solid state stuff running? (I'm using a Pass Aleph3 amp and it sounds so much better when I leave it on..).
What's the proper procedure for "power up and shut down"??

thanks.
jeff_s12a
Good suggestion Jc. It may not even need to be a different brand, sometimes just a different cable can be enough to find the culprit.

I once bought a set of RCA based interconnects from a guy that was going crazy trying to find the source of noise in his system. He had bought various PLC's, purchased all new high dollar balanced cables, etc... As it turns out, the source of the noise was one of the cables that i had purchased. One of the factory soldered connections was poorly done and the result was noise. While he was upset that he had pulled his hair out and spent so much money trying to solve the problem without checking something as simple as this, he was glad to finally find out what the source of the noise was. Let's hope that is all that is wrong with your system, as it would be a quick and cheap fix. Sean
>

PS... Have you tried plugging all of your gear into one comment outlet ?
I do have everything (sources and preamp) plugged into a single surge protector. I'm going to try pulling all the interconnects and re-installing...