Polishing a Micro Seiki RT 3000G Gunmetal platter

Just received my Micro Seiki BL 111 turntable from Japan and would like to polish the platter. Anyone have any experience with this task? Thanks

horsestuff

@pindac 

All true, except clear metal lacquer is really toxic and difficult to apply. The stuff you get at Home Depot will leave a bad finish with pits and runs. It is much easier for the OP to polish the platter once in a while.

Lacquer is an application carried out regularly by Custom Spray Paint Services, hence my earlier suggestion to use such a service once a Professional Polisher  had Bright Polished the Platter.

I am not anti DIY Polishing, I have in the past taken Platter Rims to a Bright Polished Finish.

In this case the Value of the BL 111 TT on the used Market suggests it will be aesthetically attractive if dealt with by a Professional Service.   

I polished my RX-5000 platter with MAAS and the supplied cloth. I also investigated metal shops around town which dealt with hot rods and motorcycles for polishing up chrome or stainless. I feared that gunmetal being a softer material would ultimately warp if not careful and the guys at one shop I emailed, I had to explain what gunmetal even was, so decided to just do it myself.

That said I was able to get a really nice shine on the platter, but has since patina'd quite a bit. I seem to recall that Micro applied some type of coating on these platters that if removed and polished, it will patina quicker.

Thanks for the advice. After polishing could you not put a coat of clear shellac to prevent the platter from corroding.