Please help: Do I need a preamp?

Hi!
I need your advice about my system, I am suspicious about impedance mismatch. My system consist of: ML 39 CD player direct to BAT VK-75 amp and Audio Physic Virgo II, Stealth PGS XLR and AZ Hologram II cables.
The sound is not enough dynamic with lack of bass and a bit thin. The resolution and soudstage is fine.
Getting a BAT pre would solve the problem? Or is it better to change the CD player to the AA Capitole which has tube output?
I can not compare this two options so I need your opinions.

Regards
Norbert
norbert2
Most source components will sound better (more linear freq response, wider dynamic range) through a high quality pre-amp. Sometimes a source component will mate beautifully with an amp, most of the time the impedances vary with frequency, and not just one stated imedance, and the match isn't what the spec's would suggest.

But with any system, it's a "system", so use what works best.
I agree with Reubent, using a preamp is not always an asset. In fact, sometimes it is a downgrade.

Jjmali, the poster is not using a passive preamp. The preamp in the ML 39 is based on the ML 380 active preamp. Wes Phillips (who's opinions I respect) had this to say in his review of the ML 39 CD player:

"You think your preamp is transparent? You're probably wrong. I knew this, of course, but I've never heard a CD player's variable output that wasn't more colored or coarse than a good preamp. Not even the best of 'em. So I was stunned by how good the '39 sounded going straight in. It was fast and clean—and more. More depth, more dynamics, more detail, more air... "

So we can rule the preamp out as the culprit, with a fairly high degree of certainty. There are other more likely causes, as I outlined in my previous post.

Since a couple of other posters questioned the cable choices, that appears to be a good place to start...

Norbert,
I owned a ML 39, upgraded to 390S, and connected directly to a ML 332 amp driving a pair of Martin Logan Odyssey.
The sound was like yours: lacking of dynamics and body, eventhough very detailed and transparent.
Therefore I decided to buy a preamp and, after an unsatisfactory trial with a ML 380S, I purchased an Arc Reference 2 mk2, getting everything was lacking previously.
Some times later, once I heard of all the troubles with the Mark Levinson factory closing, I decide to sell my 390S and purchased an Audio Aero Capitole mk 2 here in Italy where I live.
All I can tell you now is that I am not yet able to decide if I prefer the sound of this fantastic cd player through a very good preamp like the Arc or directly connected to the amp: the result in both ways is really good!
So, my suggestion is: buy a very good preamp (possibly a tube one) and connect your 39 to it, or swap this with a Capitole connecting it directly to your Bat amp.
Hope this helps
Ciao
Vito
Consider upgrading your ML39 to a 390S. The 39 is a bit "thin" compared to the 390S, which is a far more engaging player. I have run mine directly to both solid state and tube amps; it has a terrific volume control and you will have to spend fairly big bucks on a pre-amp (plus interconnect) to beat it.
Hi!

Thank you for your suggestions.
So the first step is to borrow a preamp.

Regards
Norbert