Pleasantly Surprised

I bought a B&K Reference 2220 amp to replace my 22 year old Carver 200t amp.

I didn't know I listening to harshness all these years till today!
barroter
One other advatage of the RAM Labs Siemens is that in my experience there is nobody better at matching and testing tubes than Roger Modjeski. When dealing with tube nuerosis, I feel comfortable that Roger has matched the tubes. Another fellow would by Jim McShane, bought my SED EL34s from him and they bias very closely as matched quartets.
How are you doing Barroter? I'm not sure these comments are what you anticipated with your initial post. I'd like to hear more from your perspective as you seem to be a true hobbyist; you actually seem to be a maker, which in this realm I'm not.
Actually, I'm a total neophyte at this though I've loved listening to music for decades. I also do not have the disposable income to throw around for high end components.

The B&K I've bought has shown me two things. The Carver amp I had was way too old to pusn further. Secondly, the speakers I built a year ago are better than I though when the B&K was powering them.

What I am hearing from my system that I didn't before is alot of texture. Simple things like the rattling of a guitar string or cleanly hearing the distortion effect of a guitar. There is alot of detail I was missing before the B&K

Now, I admit, the improvement may be due to a newer piece of equipment. The Carver I had was 22 years old. Then again, perhaps the B&K is that much better as well.
Your responses takes me back to around 20 years ago. At that time I totally discounted tube gear (and cats). I believe differently today! I've rediscovered classical music via vinyl and tubes. Your DIY project(s) intrigue me; I wish I had the talent. Let us know what you come up with.