platinum audio solo's

I have read that the solo's are very hard to drive, that being said, can a 100 watt tube amp do the job? Secondly, I am usually not a fan of metal dome tweeter's but all I have read is how smooth the sound is out of these speakers, can anyone comment, I don't have anywhere I can listen to them but they seem to be a steal for the money. I am interested in these because I have a small room and I don't want thin sounding monitor's. Thanks.
sean34
I used to have a pair of Platinum Audio Solo's, and my system never sounded better. However, they sound horribly bright right out of the box, and require about 113 hours burn-in time. After that time you will start to hear their magic. They are one of the most transparent sounding, musically involving, and refined sounding monitor's I've ever listened to. Today the solo's would probably retail for about $3500+ as opposed to their original retail price of $2500 back in 1996. I did find that they needed a lot of juice. nevertheless, I used an old B&K Ex330 200rms amp and Musicaly Fidelity AC3R preamp which was a perfect match for the Platinum Solo's. recently I've heard well known loudspeakers in the $2500-$4000 range that don't come close to the performance of the Solo's.
When I purchased my Solos (fron dealer on loan who sold them rather then give back to Phil Jones) the dealer said mids have suckout because of the metal drivers (which I had hated discriminantly). I set them up and played Avalon from Roxy Music on Japanese vinyl. My wife came in the room and said "oh those sound really nice!" That was the first time she ever did that! Boy that was a great review coming from HER! These are really smooth!
I will acquire a set of platinum solos
have a Marantz 500 power amp from the 70s
wonder what they will sound like??
The Platinum Audio Solo's should sound great with your classic amp.
If not, let me know so I can buy either your amp or the speakers to end your suffering :>)
Rusty1234,
Because the Platinum Audio Solo's yield a full range, accurate and musical presentation with high power solid state amps you should be fine with your classic Marantz 500.
Of course, exactly what you will hear depends on each of the different parts of your system, not just the amp.
At one audio store, their finest Solo demo using a solid state amp featured the biggest Aragon amp, an amp of the speaker's time. That Aragon was like your Marantz, built to be a heavyweight champ impressing both sonically and visually.