Pipedreams vs. Soundlabs

Hello Everyone,
I am familiar with the sound of Soundlab M-1's. I am curious how the Pipedreams with the 6 or 7 foot towers would compare to the Soundlab M-1's. Thanks in advance for sharing your experience with me.
Regards,
Dennis
dgclark0007
Dennis, Audiofeil generally would be correct, but in this case he is wrong. The Pipedreams are indeed not very good. The crossover is terrible and the cheap tweeters are subpar. The image size is unrealistic, the bass does not integrate well, the company cannot be trusted and the workmanship is poor. Although I never heard the original pair created by Mark Porzili , I am told they were pretty good.

The Soundlabs are very good sounding. They are not necessarily my cup of tea, but they are respectable.

Paul: I am sorry if I offended you. I certainly do not intend to do so, but I have quite a bit of experience with both the speakers and the company and hold to my statement.
Brian, RIGHT ON with your explanation of deep bass. I for one love the sound and feel of the bass hitting your gut! However, you are CORRECT...ain't that way at the concert hall. I have always believed that we as audiophiles and music lovers want our cake and eat it too. We want accurate and absolute sound but also want the spectacular sound of what electronics can produce.
I have not heard the Soundlabs for quite some time but I recall hearing them at one of the NYC shows (10 yrs ago) and saying that they were the most authentic speaker to replicate live music.
Jtinn: I agree 100%. It takes guts to be honest and your assessment is honest. In my opinion it is also accurate.

Beemer: Who cares if you have over 30 years in the hobby? Lots of people do things for long periods of time without being good at them. I know somebody who has played guitar for 30 years and still sucks at it. Quantity is no substitute for quality.
Brian, I was talking more about quantity than quality of bass. Dynamic speakers IME just have more impact and go lower. In a classcical concert hall sitting mid hall, impact is less of an issue, but listening to live jazz where you are literally within 20 feet of the performer, the kick drum does hit you like a bat. Quality of bass is where planars excel - I have yet to hear bass from a cone driver rival that from a large Apogee or Maggie Tympani. So I think we agree.
Thanks, Rwd, I try to explain things as clearly as possible. I've been into high end for going on 35 years and have seen many companies come and go, especially speaker manufacturers. I try to stick to what I know best and avoid criticizing competitors because it is uncalled for and may be seen as unprofessional.
Brian