Pick your poison...2-channel or multi?

This post is just to get a general ideas among audiophiles and audio enthusiasts; to see who really likes what. Here's the catch!

If you were restricted to a budget of $10,000, and wanted to assemble a system, from start to finish, which format would you choose, 2 channel or mulichannel?

I'll go first and say multichannel. I've has to opportunity to hear a multichannel setup done right and can't see myself going back to 2-channel. I'm even taking my system posting down and will repost it as a multichannel system.

So...pick your poison! Which one will it be, 2-channel or multichannel.
cdwallace
I see there is contention over the idea of multiple drivers. I don;t want to get too involved in this thead as i'm more interested in the one about full range/not so full range comparisons/benifits/compromises.
But my 2 cents is that I;'ve yet to hear and like a muti-driver speaker. From the mid 70's through the new modern reto-muti driver speaker of today, the Legacy Whispers come to mind. one word YUCK.
Phil... thanks for your opinion. You've thoroughly explained you methodology behind your set. No need to explain any further! Supprisingly, my magic chipmunk understand completely where your coming from and has designed a system based on your opinions. Unfortunately, just like what you claim to be hearing from your "holistic" system, my magic chipmunk just doesn't exist!

Maybe in another 50 years, techonology would have reverted back to outdated techonolgy and I'll get it then.
D_Edwards...in response to your question about how I got my system to sound better....Up front I use 3 Merlin TSM-MMs...one shielded for the center channel..Merlin stands are custom built and sand filled with 4 point stand supports...The rear channel speakers are Source Technology which are designed for surround use and beat out a number of other speakers for rear channel use..They are also mounted at the right height in my room on the rear wall which took a bunch of experimentation....Speaker cables and interconnects are Anti Cables from Paul Speltz and have whopped up on a bunch of other cable/IC combos..Monster AVS2000 works well here where we have large voltage swings.....Amplification is Butler 5 channel tube amplifier....Sub is the new Velodyne DD 15...setting atop an ASC sub trap 18" by 18"..DVD player is a Verastarr Stage 2 modified Denon 3910..Power cords for all components are also custom but not overly expensive....My listening room has undergone extensive acoustic treatment from the corners...to the walls...floor and window treatments...It has become a much more involving and fun system than any combo of components I've had in the past 33 years..I couldn't have come up with this quality of system without the help of longtime Agon member David99...His recommendations ...suggestions..and patience to help me work through this new maze has been tremendous..and I really owe the results to him...I just forked over the dough.....My wife and I are very pleased to say the least....
CDw,

The holistic presentation of music from 2C, that I cited, exists for anyone careful enough to build a system and set it up to attain it. Your perception of this benefit appears to be absent, perhaps constrained by the limits of 2C systems you've built in the past. When you tire of chasing your tail with MC, as you no doubt will, you will return to technology appropriate to the task. That is, if you're listening to music rather than focused on movies. In the meantime, enjoy the route you've taken. It will be fun for you. We always say the journey, not the destination, is the point of travel, right?

Phil
Phil...the holistic benifit has always been in my previous 2ch and current MC system. It's even in the numerous high and ultra high end systems I've heard at local and regional audioshops. I'm saying the holistic benifit is on a much grander scale than with 2ch. Not with movies but with music. You're more than correct, I'm having a ball with MC. The journey didn't take long either. I've been involed with mid and hifi for about 3 years now. MC is my reference, not 2 ch.