Phono stage help

Hello,

I could really use some advice. I have a PS Audio GCPH and a GFP-750 preamp. I am toying with the idea of either getting an EAR 834p, Parasound JC 3 or getting rid of my GFP-750 and modding my GCPH and using it alone. Can anyone steer my in the right direction here?
tswisla
I'm using a Sutherland 20/20 with a Benz Wood SL; it's awesome. Multiple reviews on line concerning the 20/20. I agree with Brian D. Stereophile review. I bought the 20/20 sound unheard and very much wanted a flexible stage which the 20/20 is from my perspective: 5 gain settings from 40db to 64 db & 5 loading setting from 100 to 47.5K ohms making it, significantly more flexible than the JC3. With my Benz Wood SL I have the 20/20 set at 52db and 475 ohms which provides very adequate gain for my system and does sound excellent; dead quiet black background, excellent tonality,staging, imaging, bass and dynamic range. The order of music types I listen to from most to least would be: Jazz; Rock & Blues; Classical. I hope this helps.
Hi Keith,
I have the original first version Basis Vector arm on my Basis 2001 table.
I just got the Sutherland Hubble. I agree with Luvmusic about the versatility and sound quality of Sutherland products. I was using an internal phono from BAT with the Vk-32se.
I did a little experimenting. I found that without the GFP, the sound was more focused, clearer and sharper than with the GFP plugged in. There was also less noise without the GFP. So, the GFP is out. With these results, why would I want to ever add a preamp to my only phono, 2 channel system? I guess that some add gain, but with less noise? What am I missing here?