Payment method required to send messages???

I just received the following notice when trying to respond to a message a member sent to me.  The message was about audio gear and had nothing to do with buying or selling.  Is this a new requirement?  

You must have a verified phone number and payment method to send messages.

mitch2

Setup up two factor authentication (2FA)

@jea48 - I have no issue with 2FA and I have seen that message previously, but I thought it applied to buying/selling, which I haven't done here in awhile.  If that were all that is required to reinstate my ability to message then no problem, but the message that popped up obviously says something different.  BTW, it is a little unclear what they mean by "payment method".  Of course I have payment methods but I suspect it means a method we can have access to.

Hopefully this is an update error in which PM'ing was not supposed to be included in the added control(s).

From previous A'gon updates over the years my start date and address have been altered and I'm not the one who changed the address info.

DeKay

Message Tammy - she fixed this for me asap. 
ne sure you are logged in with your original sign-up email. 
admin@ Audiogon.com

Ok, mystery solved, I think...

I did their 2FA for my phone number by requesting a code and entering it after they texted it to me. It appears I am now able to respond to messages.

If that was the whole issue, then no problem but their communication was odd in that their message requested "a verified phone number and payment method" yet said nothing about 2FA, which was in a different message that explained the purpose was related to "buyers and sellers". Had I realized all they were asking for in order for me to message was a 2FA on my phone number, then they should have simply asked for that and I would have proceeded and never would have posted here.

Post removed