Pass Labs Int 25 vs Int 60

I'm curious if anyone has had a chance to listen to these two integrated amplifiers.

I know the Int 25 is basically the XA25 with a preamp. The Int 60 runs class A to 30 watts (and uses the same preamp) so maybe it's more closely related to the XA30.8, though I don't believe I've read that anywhere.

Anyway, I think from a power perspective both will be fine with my 90db floorstanders. My main question is which is the warmer, smoother of the two amps? Even if that means being darker and more veiled, I would want to go with that amp!

Thanks.
shahram

Sounds good, Markuzz!

I had the Pass INT-30A, and replaced it with the INT-60.  Both are very fine: to my ears the 30 was a snootch more musical, and the the 60 a snootch more revealing.

What tipped me to the 60 is that, unlike some of the experiences reported here with the 25A (and many reports other low watt Pass gear), I had trouble driving speakers with the 30, even efficient ones.

I'll be curious to here the results of your comparison!  Also keen to hear about comparisons of the 60 and 250.

Initial impressions on the differences between the INT25 and INT60:

First of all, the INT60 is a beast physically. Large, heavy and present. Also the INT60 is deep, and will not fit all audioracks or furniture. The INT25 is a bit more modest. Especially when you switch off the numeric display. This can be done on both, however the INT60 will always display the blue glow of the round fish tank (even when powered off). Although many enjoy this, it is something Nelson could consider for future amplifiers. It would be nice to be able to switch it off, and go 'stealth'.

The connections on the back are a bit more modest as well on the INT25. Obviously the balanced inputs are missing on the INT25, due to the single ended design. But also the speaker terminals are a tad smaller. Nothing to worry about, just an observation. The only ‘complaint’ I have is that the power inlet of the INT25 is close to the handle. Therefore my power cable (with crazy ETI Kryo IEC connector) will slide in the INT25, but on an angle. I enjoy power inlet’s in the centre, it makes cable routing more easy. Why this is different from all other Pass amps on the INT25, is unclear to me.

Both amps sport a timeless beauty, fit & finish are exquisite, and the build quality is top notch. They attract the attention of your friends & family (even kids), and demonstrate your enthusiasm towards high-end audio gear. Both pieces are ‘just’ integrated amps, but you get instant respect from fellow audiophiles, even from ones who still believe the only way ‘is to go separate’. The badass-ness of these Pass amplifiers appeal. To everyone.

Now when it comes to sound, it's obvious they are racehorses from the same stable. They are bred, fed and trained the same way. Their sound signature is surprisingly similar. Thus, what are the differences in sound? Yes…. Well.... the INT60 needs a few more days of playing as she is still almost new at the writing of this subjective ‘review’.

So…. Stay tuned.

Cheers, Markuzz.

Further explorations on the differences between the Pass Labs INT25 and INT60.

Disclaimer: all ‘statements’ written in this post are my subjective findings, based on my system and my room. I ran both amps on my horn loaded loudspeakers, with a fairly high sensitivity of 96dB. Both amps never ran out of breath, heck the needle of the INT60 barely moved at (earthquake) high volume levels. In other words: depending on your loudspeakers, your miles may vary :-)

Another note: I have zero affiliation with Pass Labs.

As mentioned in my previous post, both amps have a surprisingly similar sound signature. Even though this post is aimed at the differences….. let’s start with the similarities.

The 25 and 60 are potential lifelong soulmates to music lovers. They are very capable of reproducing ‘music’, instead of ‘sound’. Both machines bring contradicting sound properties at the same time, such as:

Elegant and exciting.

Coherent and transparent.

Lush and decisive.

These qualities are what many audiophiles crave, but are seldom seen together.

Now…. The differences.

The magical INT25: The advantages of this amplifier is that it it has fewer gain stages. The strength of this simpler design is that it enables to “see” deeply into the recording. The 60 is also good at this, but less than the 25. Also, the 25 sounds slightly more lush and nimble. More playful.

The mighty INT60: Compared to the 25 with a single pair of FET’s, the 60 has banks of smaller transistors. The sound is more rich and resolute compared to the 25. Both amps sound slightly left of neutral, and the 60 has more ‘meat on the bone’. She is also able to take an “ordinary” recording and make it listenable.

Both amps sound incredibly right and will probably satisfy many music-first audiophiles. One of the important factors in this hobby is system matching. It will depend on the other links in your chain as to which amp you prefer. In my system and room, and to my taste, I give the nod to the 60.

Final thoughts on the design of the INT25: I’ve built a few early First Watt designs in the past and I find a resemblance in the INT25. The simple, yet elegant set-up is still intriguing. The dual FET’s connected directly to the loudspeaker without ballast resistors result in low distortion and Class A operation into low impedance and reactive loads. I will not be surprised when Nelson Pass is going full circle to further development on this path for his next (final?) generation of amplifiers. Maybe a similar design with larger heat sinks for dissipation? Bigger, faster power supply? Balanced? A more tuned pre-stage? A recipe for a killer future reference amp.

Cheers, Markuzz.

with a pair of maggies on their way (last time i had a set was a pair of mg3a's in 1988), i picked up a nice used int-150

will compare with my xa 25... along with several others in the stable 😊