Owning the speakers you dreamed of 20 years ago

Does speaker technology really change that much?  As I'm listening to my Klipsch Heresy's in a bedroom setup, I decided to look up to see what $3k or so could buy me today used and was shocked to see the speakers I used to drool over, when I was done looking at the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition ;), were available for a quarter or less of the money.

Revel Ultima
Sonus Faber
JM Lab Mezzo 

And more, are all available to buy used.

Seriously these were speakers I would daydream about.  How do they sound today compared to a speaker that you would spend $3k on new or even a few years old?  How could these $10k speakers from a time I can still remember, really sound like a $3k speaker?  My Klipsch's remind me that speakers even older and cheaper are irreplaceable to me, so why wouldn't I spend $3k for one of my old heroes?

What am I missing here?

blkwrxwgn
The speakers of my dreams thirty years ago was the Apogee Duetta Sigs. They were the closest thing to sounding like real acoustic instruments and true vocals that I heard. They did then and I have little doubt that a properly restored pair (with an adequate amount of quality power and space) would sound as good as about anything on the market today, regardless of price........Jim
I think you have to challenge old speakers using new technology. When I play Santana's debut album CD through JBL L150As they sound amazing with palpable bass. The effect is not the same when I play the record (original pressing). 
The Rise and Maturation of the Tweeter Waveguid alone makes todays speakers much better...and thats just 1 part. Even all you guys old speakers with old lifespans like Klipsch Heritage, Tannoy, BBC monitors, Maggies,Ohms Quads, and JBL...the newer versions of those speaker are far far better, the parts are far more advanced and better with tighter tolerances. Are their great sounding old speakers sure it is....in the majority do they sound better than the  newer speakers Hell Naw....most newer budget speakers will walk all over most older midpriced speakers...time keeps marching on...
Post removed 
What I wanted 30 years ago was Acoustat 3+3s but I could only afford 2+2s. I must be lucky as now I have exactly that speaker in a Sound Labs 645-8, that is an 8 foot tall 645 custom made for me under the direction of Roger West. He will make different sizes for anyone if he can. The speakers are built in sections. I have now question they will last indefinitely. As for the sound all I can say is with a good live recording like Waiting for Columbus, if you close your eyes you are better than at the concert. You would easily call it the best seat in the house. The illusion is broken only by the crowd's clamping. I still have a little work to do in the low bass but everything else is right on.