Opinion on McIntosh MCD 201 SACD player

Anyone has experience with this new player ? How does measure up to other SACD players around similar price level ?
greeni
Greeni,
Over on the Mac-forum of audiokharma, you will find quite a bit of info on this player. I am a Mc-fan myself, as far as their amps are concerned, but with the MCD 201, they have already brought out the 4th correction software. I would not touch it if I were you.
I have the MCD/MDA1000, and have done comparisons between these players (MCD201, MVP861). I can say for certain that neither of the 201 or 861 is anywhere near the performance of the MCD/MDA1000 combo. The MCD/MDA1000 are unique and special and it will take best players to beat them.

Having said this I think the MCD201 is a great player for its price. The SACD section a lot less digital sounding than many SACD players on the market costing a lot more.
Yes, it does have a few software upgrades, but McIntosh does not have a reputation of leaving their customers out in the cold.

At least McIntosh addresses some of the issues which are shared by other SACD players, while other companies do not even bother coming out with any upgrades whatsoever.

Try loading an SACD disc on a Sony SACD1, and you can have a coffee and come back, and the thing would still be loading. Or, the pauses between tracks. McIntosh fixes these issues.
Well I finally got another unit manufactured in July. Almost a 7 week wait. Still the same transport noise .
This unit still has a loud spin noise playing SACD (nature of the beast?)but better when playing regular cd. For this price it should be almost silent, in my opinion. The player does reproduce great sound though. I'll probably keep it just because I have the other McIntosh componets. Also, the SACD does sound better than the cd, but it is overrated for the extra cost.
One would think that Mac would have dealt with all the problems in the MCD201. Perhaps a recall to install autoformers would fix the problem. The buyers agita could be understood in a $50 Tosh, not an expensive unit using buyers as beta testers.