Opera Audio Consonance reference 2,2 CdD Player

Any experiences ?Is it realy so good like some sellers allready said?One rewiever claimed that until 10K(!!!) there is no contender, and Chinese maschine is just 1900 in USA.
ziva
I bought a Consonance Reference 2.2 today...just breaking it in. I listened to a Primare D20, Myryad something, Cary CD 308, and the Consonance. I actually bought the Cary, based on a very brief audition whilst purchasing my speakers a few weeks ago - and was very impressed with the Cary CD 308. The day before I picked it up another dealer came around to my house and hooked up both the Primare and the Consonance (note here the Cary audition was using my speakers, cabling and amp, but taken in to the dealer's listening room), all three units had between 30-60 hours breakin. The Myryad I won't comment on because it wasn't auditioned on my components - but I didn't take to it.

WELL!

The Primare was, to put it mildly, hopeless - just no excitement whatsoever, very "nice", kept changing discs, going through the motions (I have a standard 6-7 Cds and fave tracks when I audition), but not enjoying the sound much. Transfer to the Consonance. I forgot I was auditioning, I just was digging the music, in fact I didn't want to change discs at all I was enjoying listening so much. I wasn't really looking for detail, or soundstage, or bass/midrange/treble the way I normally would, I just FORGOT to and thought "gee I love this song, this sounds great" and such. I felt a real emotional connection and involvement with the music. I was hoping my earlier audition of the Cary would match up - as it was my regular dealer, and I got a very good price on it, and had committed to buying it.

I picked up the Cary on the strength of the earlier audition, which was very brief. Yuck. Lots of detail, yes, but so electronic sounding, and I wasn't remotely connected to what I was listening to. Granted it wasn't fully broken in, but neither were any of the others...

Next day (today), listened at higher volume, still no real connection, or even enjoyment. Goodbye Cary, hello Consonance Reference 2.2. Straight out of the box it sounded better than the Cary 308, although nothing like the partly broken in Ref 2.2 demo unit I'd heard. So now it's on repeat, and I'm waiting...

Something interesting to note: the feelings I had about the Ref 2.2 being warm, and natural, and analogue like, and being emotionally connected and involved with the music, and very musical, and wanting to keep listening - well, no-one had mentioned this to me at all, had read no reviews, this one dealer just suggested I give it a listen, and that's it, no real preamble on it. An hour ago, I read professional reviews that said EXACTLY the same things I had observed during audition re emotional connection, involvement, natural warmth, wanting to keep listening etc etc. Guys, girls, it's no hype. Can't wait for the burn-in to finish, out of the box it doesn't have that, in fact it sounded a bit boomy - but as I say, the demo unit had only 40 hours or a bit less, and it had all those yummy sounds happening. Maybe it isn't for everyone, but I bet it's a GREAT choice for many. To sum up, if you would like to LOVE the music you listen to, not the player itself and electronic trickery, give this unit an audition. I have to say it again, it's the FIRST time I have auditioned a player and just plain FORGOT to analyse it 'cos I got so wrapped up in how much I love this album etc - just heard the music without wanting or trying to analyse it, and not wanting to stop listening to it, and regretting having to change discs because I was enjoying it so much!

I know I've given this player a big rap - but it's worth it! Make sure the demo unit has been broken in a bit though - I made the dealer break in both the Primare and the Consonance for the 40 hours before I listened, don't be shy to ask the dealer to do so if it hasn't had some hours on the unit yet - you have a right to know what you'll be buying before you splash the cash. Has plenty of detail by the way, without making the mistake of over-detail, which gets ridiculous, and is artificial, not to mention fatiguing and detracting from overall listening pleasure.
I've had my 2.2 for a week now (150 hours) and so far so good. I'm using the stock cord, and I have it plugged directly into my PS Audio HCA-2, also with the stock cord. I want to get used to the sound as is, so upgrades will be more apparent. This combination sounds better than anything that I've had, or anything in the local shops. -- Hard to believe that it can keep getting better, with more burn in, and a PC upgrade!
Haven't had a chance to listen with the balanced outs yet. I do wish that the volume control worked on the XLR side. I will be looking for a pre now to try it that way.
My search for a source is over!
Sonny
Just a little note to add on from my rave (iaincmcghee@yahoo.com.au) nearly a year ago. Get a new power cord, the difference is VAST compared to the stock cord (and even with the stock cord the Ref 2.2 is wonderful), when this gem is connected using a good audiophile cord - I just got one a week ago and WOW...and make sure you get a Ref 2.2 which has the factory option Auricap not Solen capacitors, the Auricap capacitors in the tubed output stage give so much more detail and clarity than the Solens. The Auricap IS an official Opera Audio option, the extra cost (minor) is well worth it - more nimble and extended bass, more detail and transparency overall. My unit I bought with the Solens, this was before I found out about the Auricap option and had it upgraded a few months later, so I had plenty of listening time to compare the two, and I haven't looked back since. Check with your dealer which capacitors their stock is, the wait for the Auricap version is worth it if they have to order one in for you.