Open Baffle Experience

Much has been said about open baffles, including an epic website by the late, great Dr. Linkwitz but I've only heard them really once, playing absolutely garbage music (thanks Pure Audio!) at a hotel.

I'm talking here about dynamic drivers in single baffles without enclosures, not ESLs or Magneplanar type systems.

I'm curious who has had them, and who kept them or went back to "conventional" boxes?

I'm not really looking to buy speakers, but I did start thinking about this because of a kit over at Madisound made with high quality drivers.

erik_squires

@johnnycamp5 wrote:  "I should be more specific - Are all OB open back tweeter? I thought some had forward only directivity . So the heavy drapes question was more for the mid range and bass frequencies."

Yes, some open baffle speakers have rear-firing high frequency energy and some do not.

@johnnycamp5 again: "7’ off front wall is always why these types of loudspeakers (dipole) are “non starters” for me... I’ve always been attracted to horns for their controlled directivity.

"But man that open spacious sound of OB is hard to beat if set up right…just a whole different flavor of goodness."

Very interesting.  Ime that goodness depends on having an adequate reflection path length for the backwave energy.  Linkwitz recommends a minimum of 6 milliseconds (approximately 6 feet total, corresponding to about 3 feet distance from the wall.  I shoot for 10 milliseconds delay (corresponding to about 5 feet from the wall), based on the writings of Earl Geddes and David Griesinger.

I'm into both dipole speakers (as a dealer) and horns (as a manufacturer), and agree with your observations about "the open spacious sound of OB".  So my horn speakers usually have user-adjustable rear-firing horns which are angled up-and-back, such that their reflections bounce off the wall and off the ceiling before reaching the listening area.  This way they can be placed within a foot or so of the front wall and the reflection path delay will be in the 10 milliseconds ballpark. 

My approach would not work well with heavy drapes behind the speakers, as they would absorb the high frequency energy.  Imo it is desirable for the reflection field to have approximately the same spectral balance as the direct sound for a variety of reasons, which I can describe if you wish.

Duke

Post removed 

OB question I’ve never got an answer on;

Can an OB speaker be utilized in a “small room” (14’x12’x8’)???

3’ out from front wall is not a non starter in my world. Im certain my corner horns (the baffle face) are likely that far out from the corner (apex) so there’s that.

@audiokinesis I for one would love to hear your description of why the equal spectral balance…but I don’t want to high-jack the OP. 
I believe It certainly pertains to the question “open baffle experience “

I don't see why not.  They could be three feet from the front wall and you could sit around 8 feet from the plane of the speakers with three feet or so behind you.  It may not be ideal but could work.  I would treat the front wall with mostly diffusion and the wall behind you with absorption.  Also maybe control first point reflections but open baffle does not radiate much sound to the sides.

I'm no expert so maybe someone else has experience.