Omega Super 3 or Axiom M22Ti on Sonic Impact T-Amp

Hi all,

I'm taking my first baby step to become like one of you! ;) I'm coming from a pretty bad sounding (IMO) 15 years old Kenwood Rack System. I already bought the Sonic Impact T-Amp after reading sixmoon's review (actually 2... one for spare in case modding doesn't go too well!) ;) I've tried the speakers from the Kenwood rack system and the little T-Amp does give me some surprises. It really is clear, pretty detailed and have a WIDE soundstage compared to the amp in the rack system. I believe the problem is the Kenwood speaker - it is somewhat muffled and the bass isn't accurate and tight, so this is what brought me here. I want some advise on the above speakers to go with the T-Amp. (I'm also open to other suggestions - but let's set a budget of $600 for a pair of speakers)

The source will probably be my CD collection in Monkey's Audio format (a lossless compression format) that's stored in my quiet harddrive playing back via the Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 soundcard with onboard 24-bit 192kHz D/A converter, 106dB dynamic range and a pretty flat frequency response across the whole frequency spectrum. I might use the 2nd soundcard (Soundblaster Audigy2 ZS 7.1) on my computer to play some DVD-Audio disc - but I do not own any DVD-Audio at this moment. The speakers will be in a small to medium size room.

I wish to find out how those two speakers compared to each others (if they can be compared) and what characteristics do they have. Also do these speaker do well in the Home Theater area (since I didn't read much about this area - but that's not my primary concern at this moment) Thank you in advance for reading my lengthy post and for any responses that you may have. :)

-=SGI=-

sgi
Thank you all for your great response to my Question. It seems that the Axiom M22Ti will be out of my mind completely! ;) I probably won't build my own speaker for the time being. I just don't have the time to build it when I'm working 15hrs per day for 7 days a weak - But that is a thing I already put in my MUST-DO list. :)

I will most likely be buying a Super 3 from Omega but I should get some reassurance from Luis himself to see if that's the speaker in his lineup to get.

Finnegan, thank you for your suggestion on the TS33. The spec sounds good. Unfortunately the standard Super 3 was originally out of my budget already, so the TS33 is out of the question ... unless of course Luis is willing to sell it to me at a discounted price! (Luis, if u r listening! lol ;)

Gmood1, thanks for your insider's tip from Luis ;) That might come in handy. But I will try the speakers by themself and let it break in first and see how I like it. I have a couple of extra Logitech computer satelite speakers with 5-way binding posts laying around, they might be good enclosure for those tweeters if I ever needed to add those tweeters! I can probably use a 2nd T-Amp to feed those tweeters. :) I listen to different kinds of music, but mostly Chinese Pop. I especially like a good vocal which I've read that these Fostexes are great for. I recently discovered that there are lots of things that I've never heard when I was testing the T-Amp connected to my Logitech Satelites (which does pretty good in the midrange - but I'm sure that can be made better, clearer, more detailed and more precised with better speakers!!!) I simply love it. I really can't wait until I get a better set of speakers! The T-Amp is to blamed for the draining of all the money away from my piggy bank!!!! ;) But I guess that's for a good cause! ;)

Pete, thanks for your suggestion also. Very interesting speaker. It probably will have a much fuller sound than what the Super 3 provides but it's out of my price range as well, unless I build it myself which I don't have the time now. That might come to use in the future though! :)

Thank you once again guys, I've learned alot from all those suggestions that you guys have made; and from all those informative websites. It really does help. I will talk to Luis and see what he says. I wanna know more about his upcoming Hemp driver that I've read as well - probably something I can only hope to get! ;)

-=SGI=-

No problem Pete as I will bring it up once your speakers breakin.I'm having it modified further..It and the ClariT or what's left of the ClariT. I must come up with a new name for my tripath amplifier.

It's going in a custom wood chassis designed by yours truly. It will also have eight 12 volt SLA batteries. 4 for the tripath boards and 4 for the paralleled buffers.The buffers will be hard wired directly to pure silver captive interconnects with Eichmann Copper RCA bullet plugs.These will connect directly with the modded toshiba.The captive interconnects will also be hard wired directly to my passive volume control .One pair of RCA input connectors has been completely deleted. I should have 500 mA per channel of drive before the the volume pot. The buffers will also connect to the stereo sub outputs by way the passive volume control. It will have 3 separate chargers and switches for fast recharging. Everything will be star grounded. All wiring will be 24 gauge pure silver in cotton tubing no plastic or teflon covering.

Hopefully I can get the hand wound silver chokes installed.
Original resistors will be changed to Caddocks.Bypass caps will be changed to Rubycon Zl/ZA. The binding post will also be changed to Eichmann Cable pods. I have decided to have a second tripath board added and run dual mono in the new chassis.This configuration should give me 48hrs of solid playing time before a recharge is needed.

I'm like a kid at Christmas waiting.At the same time trying to figure out the next move. I'm looking at changing the passive shunt volume control over to a transformer based volume control that uses no resistors.This is kinda expensive it may have to wait a while!

Ozzy and Pete... Bob must be working on your speakers at the same time! If Ozzy lived any closer he would have to keep them doors locked as well! :-)
hey Guys,

Thanks for all your suggestions. Finally put an order in w/ Louis (a very nice guy!) for a pair of Super 3 in Wide baffle configuration! I really can't wait!!!! ;) I'll write back on its performance after I have it for ~100 listening hours! It'll probably take a while! ;)

-=SGI=-