Omega Super 3 or Axiom M22Ti on Sonic Impact T-Amp

Hi all,

I'm taking my first baby step to become like one of you! ;) I'm coming from a pretty bad sounding (IMO) 15 years old Kenwood Rack System. I already bought the Sonic Impact T-Amp after reading sixmoon's review (actually 2... one for spare in case modding doesn't go too well!) ;) I've tried the speakers from the Kenwood rack system and the little T-Amp does give me some surprises. It really is clear, pretty detailed and have a WIDE soundstage compared to the amp in the rack system. I believe the problem is the Kenwood speaker - it is somewhat muffled and the bass isn't accurate and tight, so this is what brought me here. I want some advise on the above speakers to go with the T-Amp. (I'm also open to other suggestions - but let's set a budget of $600 for a pair of speakers)

The source will probably be my CD collection in Monkey's Audio format (a lossless compression format) that's stored in my quiet harddrive playing back via the Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 soundcard with onboard 24-bit 192kHz D/A converter, 106dB dynamic range and a pretty flat frequency response across the whole frequency spectrum. I might use the 2nd soundcard (Soundblaster Audigy2 ZS 7.1) on my computer to play some DVD-Audio disc - but I do not own any DVD-Audio at this moment. The speakers will be in a small to medium size room.

I wish to find out how those two speakers compared to each others (if they can be compared) and what characteristics do they have. Also do these speaker do well in the Home Theater area (since I didn't read much about this area - but that's not my primary concern at this moment) Thank you in advance for reading my lengthy post and for any responses that you may have. :)

-=SGI=-

sgi
I haven't heard either speaker. However, I currently own the Clari-T amp, based on the same chip, and two pairs of speakers that are exceptional with it.

Get the Omega 3's. Here's why - What's great about this amp is a combination of a) the amp; and b) what speakers it allows you to use with it. The Axioms say minimum amp power of 10 watts. Why? Not so efficient. Those crossovers eat a lot of power. The Omegas will thrive on the 6 watts. I have a homebrew set of Fostexes that has changed my entire thought paradigm related to amp/speaker combinations.

The Omegas have no crossovers. This is especially great through the midband. They will Astound you with their immediacy and intimacy. Their speed with strings, voices, and drums will change your audio perspective for good. I guarantee it.

If you get the Axioms, you'll say "they're nice together, for my bedroom system" and that will be it.

You choose.
Thanks Miklorsmith,

I guess for $100 more, I'll go with the Omega Super 3 (standard version) I was leaning toward the Super 3 because of the sixmoons reviews anyway, but I thank you for reassuring that that is the right direction to go.

I noticed that on another post that you've made, you said that your Fostex 206E aren't perfect. Can you tell me what is it that's lacking so I know what to expect from the Super 3 with the smaller FE127E driver. I know that it lacks the low low end which can be supplemented by adding a good Sub.

Also, if I'm not asking too much, if I buy the driver(s) and build my own speakers, will it sound just as good? (Please note that I know nothing about speaker design and building - but have the willingness to learn) ;) I probably will be buying the Super 3 anyway, but for my knowledge, If you can, point me to some resources for good speaker building, that would be helpful. :)

Thanks once again for your help.

-=SGI=-

SGI..you can go to Madisound.com or through the Fostex website and get basic speaker plans for single drivers. I had a long conversation with Louis of Omega yesterday. Really great guy! He admits being a big tube fan..but loves the low wattage tripath based amplifiers.

The single drivers aren't for everyone. I personally love them. If your a bass head or dynamic freak. These are not the speakers for you. If you want pure and transparent sound.With the source being heard for what it is good or bad..this maybe your speaker.

Good Luck!
I used the TNT audio "Big Fun Box" as the baseline and added every tweak I could find. They are good enough that I couldn't stand listening to my Gallos anymore and sold them immediately.

These are weakest in blazing guitar music, which I don't listen to a lot, but I don't want it crossed off the list either. They'll play it, but the 206 has a mid/treble rise that is highlighted with this type of music. Just about anything else ranges from good to spectacular, depending on material. For instance, I've Never heard female vocals sound so good (aside from my Druids :).

To build these would be fairly inexpensive as far as dollars, but costly in time. To build just the boxes and bolt the drivers in, a la BFB is simple, but to get the most out of them, you'll need some tweaking. Probably a fair amount.

Considering all this, plus the fact that your ultimate product will likely be UGLY (mine sure is), the Omegas are a downright bargain. You'll love the Super 3's, which I believe are better in transient speed (seems impossible) than the bigger drivers. Beware, this will just be the beginning of your transformation. Your interest in the new way will spread like wildfire. Luckily for you, this way is cheaper.