Old Classic Receivers: A Mistake to Buy?

I was contemplating purchasing a 70's receiver, as I used to love the construction and appearance of the Sansui, Kenwood, Pioneer, Marantz. However, when I ran this by an audio friend, he said, "Forget it."

He says: They sound terrible. The caps & resistors used before the early 90s' were dreadful. The electrolytics are drying up and will start crackling and substantially degrade the sonics. The switches and controls used were almost never sealed, so they deteriorate and make noise and can't be fixed even by taking them apart and cleaning them.

Tuners: He says that nearly all non-digital tuners used varactors, which go out of alignment and cause problems, so no old tuners, with the exception of the Mac MR-78 and possibly a few others, are worth dealing with.

I am tempted to believe all that he is saying is true, but I see a market for these items, and also know that people claim they are still using these pieces for 25 years.

What's the truth here? Can some of the techies enlighten me?
kevziek
Love reading these posts about the vintage gear.
I too am into vintage. 
All my Marantzs’ from the 70’s sounds awesome and wouldn’t trade or sell it for anything.

i guess it’s whatever your into.

smokey
Old receivers are all ancient history as the parts are toast.Many people have no cash so they must use junk and pretend it sounds good.
I just put together a vintage bedroom system around a rebuilt Marantz 2265b by Mike Zuccaro and Spendor SP-1 speakers. It shocked me just how musical, non fatiguing, and enjoyable this system sounds.

I have to partially agree with the original statement.  Think of a stereo receiver as a rotting basket of fruit.  Once that fruit has finished rotting, you have to cut out all the ortten parts and in many cases it's just not worth it.

In 1967 our family bought a 140w sherwood 7800 AM/FM receiver.  By 1984-5 it was not working properly.  Turns out the selector switch had rusted.  But, it failed in a way (Only the FM section wasn't working) that appeared like it was an electronics issue.  I am kind of a klutz (despite graduating the previous year with an EECS degree from MIT), and screwed it up a lot before I figured out the actual problem.

If you have ever worked on a British-Leyland car (triumph, mg, mini cooper), you will understand.  If you don't drive those cars for 30d, everything stops working, all the electrics are brass and they corrode and stop working.  The car must be driven or else it fails - totally, and i mean everything, no ignition, no headlights, no nothing!

With many stereo receivers this can happen too.  Although nearly 100% of components can be replaced with modern components, i think a lot of people buy these items for the challenge and because they are handy enough to swap the components themselves and they enjoy having the look of vintage items in their house.  The more modern (1982+) stereo receivers had excessive feedback amplifiers to get the specs down to 0.08% or 0.05% THD.  That really screws up the sound in some way that many people can't quite explain.  So they buy an older receiver with the 0.25%, 0.5%, or 1% THD (our state-of-the-art FET Sherwood 7800 is an example of a great receiver with 1% THD).  Having said this, I just bought a vintage 1990's cassette deck, a Yamaha KX-W952, and it just arrive at my house 30m ago ...

By the way, our Sherwood S-7800 cost $349 in 1967.  I am amused that today you can have one for the low-low price of $255-$299.  Not worth it, imho.  Once you experience a "do not repair" stereo component, you are through, for life ...

My feeling is this is one of those fads thats going to burn its away through the community and then people will sell them off eventually and prices will drop. I have been doing this since the 70s and personally I think you can't reheat an old shuffle. Beware and just dont throw too much money at it. Repairs can quickly shift the receiver out of a reasonable price vs value window.