New or used amp?

I am thinking of buying a power amp soon. Trying to make up my mind about what to buy. I listen to a wide range of music jazz,classical,rock,newage,etc. Looking at tubes and SS. anything around 2K. I have seen some levinson & Krell used should I consider these or go new, Thanks
bro57

I had both the Bryston 4b-st and BAT VK-200. The BAT was better in all areas and had way better low level resolution. The Bryston ran cooler and had the better warranty, but had really unfriendly speaker connectors.

However, I sold both of them in favor of a Marsh A400. The Marsh is way more neutral and revealing than either the Bryston or the BAT and equally as powerful. The Bryston, in comparison, sounded veiled, dark and sluggish with undetailed (monotone like) bass emphasis; it made the bass notes sound all alike regardless of what music I was listening to. The BAT was a little thin and lean in the midrange, but much better than the Bryston, but not as good overall as the Marsh.
What about Pass X150 about $1900-2000 used. Isn't it better choise? This is a question not recommendation.
First make sure the amp will match up well with your preamp and is suitable to drive your speakers. Try to find a dealer who will let you audition the amp at your place or that will let you return it should things not sound like you want. I have bought used equipment and had good luck with it - you might want to give it a shot. Also, if tubes will work give'em a try. Cary, Rogue, VTL all have stuff in your price range.
There is a EAR 534 tube amp for sale on audiogon. I own one and it is a great amp with a low maintenance design and great looks. It is 50 wpc of pure and clean sound. It is not widely known but you would not be disappointed. Mine has balanced and rca inputs and separate gain controls for each channel - it can also be used in a bridged mono mode for upgrade power when using two amps - retails for 3695 - 3895 - I think the guy has one for 2200 asking. I'm using mine to push Eggleston Andras and it really makes them sing even at its 50 wpc.
With all of these folks clamoring for Bryston 4B-ST's, i might need to check one out. All i can say is that i hope that they are a VAST improvement over the older original 4B's, cuz those were surely nothing to write home about.

As to the question at hand, try checking into some of Nelson Pass' old Threshold amps. They are a phenomenal bang for the buck in my opinion.

Out of curiosity, what are you going to be running this amp with ? Sean
>