New or old Thorens?

I have a lovely Thorens TD-125 restored by Shopper in Zurich. It still has the original TP-16 arm though, which I would like to upgrade. Having tried and failed to bid on quite a few reconditioned SME3009’s, I’ve been looking at new tone arms instead. Something like an Origin Live Zephyr at roughly $1200. My question now is if I should just forget this idea, sell the TD-125 and plump for a new TD-1600 instead? How would both these options compare SQ wise? My cartridges are Nagaoka MP200 & Ortofon Quintet Blue with Project Tube DS2 phono stage with Gold lion tubes. Many thanks for your thoughts. 

loafer

You could put a different height adjustable/removable headshell arm on your TD125, 

this Acos Lustre CST-1 is highly respected and of great value

GST-1 arm boards for your Tt readily available

black or white, possibly others

I bought Acos Lustre GST-801 based on advice here, it is amazing, and this looks like a terrific opportunity, I’m tempted to make an offer to have a spare

Unique magnetic tracking force and magnetic anti-skating, and superb VTA on the fly.

it fits thru a simple hole, no special cutout involved, easy din cable connection, done.

you could easily put it on your TD125, or buy it, and find a Tt it can go on.

This is great advice and much food for thought. Thanks @elliotbnewcombjr

ill look into these arms for sure  

Also 3 arms on a turntable, that is pushing the envelope! Good work. 

Post removed