New or Old

Go easy on me, first post, returning older guy.

I imagine the topic has been done to death, but I cannot find this particular example.

Looking to get some speakers to go with my recently purchased Naim 152xs/155xs. Sources will be CD, streamer and a Linn LP12.

I see JBL Studio 590s on sale, so that would be the new option.
Also, locally to me, there is a pair of KEF 107s with Kube. Cost would be not much more than the JBLs. The four woofers have been re-foamed by the owner, who appears to be flipping them after only 6 months of ownership. The tweeters and electronics are untouched.

The JBLs I can send back if the home audition fails, but the KEFs I would be stuck with. 

Is new tech going to compare with old reference speakers, or will aging speakers and crossover and Kube just not sound as good as they should?

Has any one compared speakers that are 35 years apart?
I look forward to your assistance.
derekdick
For that kind of $ you could do a more modern speaker, something that has good drivers and crossovers in it.  I’ve heard that the crossovers in the kefs are pricey if you have to replace the caps in there.

But yeah Bro, $1500 will buy you quite a few good speakers if you look preowned.

curious what the OP ended up with?  @derekdick 

I was always curious about those JBL's, but I LOVE my KEF 107's.  Don't think I'll ever part with them, even as other speakers come and go through my home - as many have in the past decade!  Legacy Focus, Quad 57's, Beveridge, Apogee, Janszen, RCA LC-1's, Tannoy Arden, Sony SS-M7's, Bozak, probably several I'm forgetting.  I prefer the 107's to them all.  Don't get me wrong, all have their strengths and weaknesses...there is no perfect speaker.  The 107's have the best balance of sheer power/dynamics, deep bass, correct timbre of instruments, 3D soundstage (not flat, there is depth/texture to it), and nice smooth midrange.  Also not too large to be obtrusive, and I happen to like the styling, with I think is a bit MCM.  Finally, they can do both music and home theater justice (without a subwoofer!) and not all speakers can say the same.

I will satisfy your curiosity by letting you know I went with the KEFs and have been very happy with them. 

Everything else in the system has been upgraded since the original post, but the KEFs are staying.

@derekdick that's awesome.  Like I said, I really love my 107's.  Had them nearly a decade, and most speakers don't make it a year in my house LOL.