New Magnepan 1.7 R

Did anyone else see the CNET article about the new Maggie's? It's a true ribbon 2 way speaker, wow. I had not heard anything about these anywhere before, or seen them at a show. Was the whole mini Maggie testing last year really about these?

I may have to break down and try these.

Any thoughts, or better yet, anyone on here who actully heard/saw them during the testing??
macdadtexas
The 1.6 was the bane of my existence for 8 years. I switched every component around them thinking my lack of enthusiasm for my system couldn't possibly be the maggies. I use to constantly be moving them around, toeing in, toe out, install resistors, tilt them back, forward you name it. They just never sounded very engaging. I was even starting to question if my stereo sounded any better than my neighbors cheap best buy system. Anyhow, I finally sold them and bought some Usher CP-6371's which completely smoke the maggies. I also have some Proac 1SC's for nearfield listening, something the maggies were not very good at either. After that experience I think I'll pass on the 1.7.
Really, are you comparing Usher's to Maggies?? Dude, that's brave. A legendary, universally revered spearker like Maggies and a generic drege like the Usher?? That's bold.
I've always been amazed by the design of the Maggie speakers. I would actually like to try a pair but I am not sure of placement issues.

The Maggie website indicates that you can place them in the same locations as any other speaker but that doesn't seem to be the opinion of anyone on Audiogon.

I presently have one speaker placed near a sofa. The front of the speakers are about three feet from the rear walls. The side wall is about thirty inches from the speaker near the sofa.

Would these real world living conditions work with the Maggies? Also, my room is about 24 x 15 x 8.
Darkkeys, I have mine five feet out into my room and 2.5 feet from the side walls with a bit of toe-in. My room is 17x25. I drive them with Portal Paladin monoblocks. I think they sound great. I never found setup that difficult. Planars simply sound different from dynamic drivers. One either likes the sound or they don't.

Wendell
Darkkeys, I looked at your system pics and if you're speaking of your living room system and would have part of the speaker firing directly into the side of your sofa, then no, I don't think that set up would work very well for Maggies. Since the actual driver extends close to the floor, it would be putting an acoustic attenuator on one side.