New Gallo 3.5's

Prototypes of new Gallo 3.5's being shown at CES. I have the 3.1's and am a big fan. These new Gallo's look really nice. May even convert some of you high enders out there who snub Gallo speakers. Go to link: http://www.soundstage2.com/lasvegas2009/sd07.html
bostonbean
Hi Dave

Thanks for your response. Those numbers don't sound off to me, esp. with even just some modest boundary reinforcement. Which line level outputs are you using? Separates and a preamp output? Subwoofer outputs on an AV receiver? I have an NAD and wondering which ones would work best.

Why do you think there would be any real advantage to the stands that offer actually less vertical elevation (although perhaps with more elevation of the aim of the speaker)? Did you do any objective testing? Seems like the issue is just getting the speaker up or even just aimed up.

I will have a FFT kit shortly to do some testing of my own. Should be most interesting. I certainly am very pleased with the 3.1s and the NAD Audyssey EQ profiles. They do seem to really smooth out the speaker even more. I am using the stock spikes only at the front though to get more elevation of the midrange/tweeter axis which itself makes quite a difference.

Curious about the Stein stands - aesthetics would be a major concern with the Mapleshades.
Doug, see my 5/23 post on an experiment a friend (and fellow Gallo owner) and I carried out last week. My friend was so amazed at the improvement that he immediately ordered a pair of the Mapleshade stands himself and he and I just finished installing them. Our original comparison included having his on one of my Stein Audio stands; honestly, the Mapleshades are in a whole different league. I've even got used to the way they look :-)

I'm not exactly sure what you mean in your second paragraph. All my sources feed into an Aesthetix Calypso linestage, with one pair of its line level outputs to SET monoblocks and then to the Gallos, and a second pair to the Gallo subwoofer amp and then to the speakers' second voice coils (the lower pair of speaker inputs). Dave
Hi Dave

Wondering if you have compared the Mapleshades and the Stein stands? The steins appear to be a bit more attractive.
best, Doug
Yep. The Mapleshades are MUCH better although you're right about the cosmetics. Note that I did touch on this comparison in my 6/5 post. Dave
I was at a dealer this week and asked about hearing the new 3.5, but they didn't have any information past the initial news release.

Anyone else know when they will be shipping?