New Gallo 3.5's

Prototypes of new Gallo 3.5's being shown at CES. I have the 3.1's and am a big fan. These new Gallo's look really nice. May even convert some of you high enders out there who snub Gallo speakers. Go to link: http://www.soundstage2.com/lasvegas2009/sd07.html
bostonbean
DFWATT said "By really high volume levels I mean something like 50 to 100 W per channel. In other words not deafening but just realistic sound levels. I don't think I'm exceeding 90-95 db in my large room."

Hi Doug, how do you know how many watts or how loud you are listening? Does you amp have meters? What SPL meter do you use?

I know people are touchy around here so being gentle, how do you know this? Just asking....

Bob
Hi Bob

Fair questions. I have a power meter on the amp. I am just guessing about sound levels based on the rough efficiency of the speaker (which I think is a bit less efficient than rated - these are real power hogs). I don't like move theater sound levels (aren't they ridiculous, esp. on the trailers?) so I know I am under those by a bit.

best, Doug
Hey Doug, no offense intended. Just trying to add some levity to the proceedings. I don't presume for a moment that the Gallo 3 is a perfect speaker, but then I challenge anyone, anywhere, to show me such a device. I just like playing music through mine, that's all I know.
Hi Doug, thanks for the answer, I am just, always, curious as to how someone comes to their conclusions of watts used/spl/freq response of their system.

Thanks,

Bob
No problem, I appreciate the clarification (couldn't tell if you were teasing (which is always OK) or being dismissive - my fault for assuming the latter.

I take it you have a pair of 3's (3.0 or 3.1?). I am eagerly awaiting the appearance of the 3.5s. It does sound like Gallo did quite a bit of work smoothing things out even more. Just a bit pricey at barely this side of 6K. Some of the online sellers (which means you lose the warranty thru Gallo) might have them for mid to high 4's. Will be interesting. . . . really wish that Stereophile would review them. Atkinson's stuff is the current industry benchmark IMHO for technical and quantitative assessments of loudspeakers. Love to see it, and don't understand why they haven't - the usual stuff about only reviewing advertiser's products (which has some truth I suppose) doesn't explain it. Anyone know why Stereophile has ducked this?? - the speculation of course is that it would upset the apple cart to have such a small relatively cheap speaker blow away the high end products. The field is still recovering from the trauma of the first controlling listening tests on amps - did so much damage that no one wants to touch that subject.

best, Doug