New Adcom GFA-555 se - Special Edition

Adcom is making a new version of the GFA-555 II, the GFA-555 se. This amplifier is essentially the GFA-555 II with slight improvements including balanced inputs larger capacitors resulting in a better soundstage and an even higher damping factor. Did you know that the GFA-555 is likely the best selling piece of hi-fi equipment ever made, with a build of over 100,000 units? The GFA-555se will be available sometime in November.
power_hungry
Stonedeaf,
Sounds like a nice system.
I had the Benchmark DAC and used it as a preamp directly into a tube poweramp. Wonderful!
Have you considered feeding your CDP into the Benchmark's coaxial input and the Sony tuner into the Benchmark's optical input. Then the Benchmarks output into your 555SE's to your B&Ws.
Minimizing the lower-end gear and having a better sound.
Have a old LG CRT hidef TV that can only feed audio out via Toslink - this goes into the Marantz pre-pro - which gets me a volume control and mute button - something my Benchmark doesn't offer via remote.Very focused on the best LP playback i can afford -CD comes next and the radio and TV/DVD sound is not real important to me.
The orig. 555 II sold a lot of copies, and was a good value for the dollar. having said that, it would still just about tear your ears off with its harsh high frequency response.

I have worked on a number of the 555 II. They can be made to sound pretty good, but takes considerable work and a lot of parts........As others have mentioned, there are a number of SS amps of equiv. power that have much better long term listening characteristics.
Like a lot of people, I owned one of these for years and they were a great buy used but there is so much better equipment on the market for the same price now.