Need speaker recommendations.

I need recommendations for speaker brand/models that can be placed relatively close to the front wall without degradation in sound quality. Say, within 1-2 feet. My front wall is ’h’ shaped (side view). There is a 1-ft deep ledge at the height of 2-ft 4-inch from the floor (imagine right half of the letter ’h’) and the overall height of the wall is 9-ft. Front to back wall is 18-ft.

Budget under US$8,000. Don’t care between stand-mounted or floor-standing. If a specific partnering amp/preamp are highly desirable (for any reason) please tell me why.

Thanks,

Amit

amitb

I have a couple of semi-vintage Denon and AR power amps (~25 year old), but most likely I will start afresh with this setup. Hence, strongly open to trying new amps.

SPL: I am now too old to rock. Mostly listen to jazz and classical/opera/ethnic music. So let's just say < 75dB at the top?

Amit

For moderate to moderate-low volume, Focal Aria 906 speakers serve me well, placed 1.5 feet from wall to rear of the enclosure. Incidentally, because of the necessary height of placement, I tilted them with rubber doorstops under them. That helps direct the sound to the listening seat, and perhaps it helps with the rear wall - but mainly, these are front-ported speakers.

I drive them with a tube preamp from Van Alstine going into a First Watt F8. The setup is great for music similar to your taste.

I'm using a pair of Vandersteen Treo Ct's approx 11 inches from front wall with good results.

B&W 803’s. 
vanderstein signature II 

my favorites though are my Dalquist DQ 10’s with the factory crossover and base module. Love those but they will make you listen to them LOUD