Need monitors with a BIG sound

Well, the better half just found out the size of the Vandy 2c's I purchased & is NOT pleased. Seeing how I can get rid of speakers easier than her I need to demo a few monitor sized speakers to see if I can find the same big sound in WAF speaker. The monitors can be pretty big but not as big as the Vandy's so a mini-monitor is probably out of the question. Right now I'm running a pair of B&W DM303's on loan from a friend. I'm not overly impressed with these at the moment b/c of the lack of bass in particular & veiled sound they offer. I listen to mostly live recordings of "rock & roll" (i.e. similar to the Grateful Dead) & like nice tight powerful bass with excelent imaging. I'll have a CJ MF2200 & DNA-1 to run the speakers with my CJ PV10AL pre-amp. My intent is to sell one of the amps after I settle on a speaker that will fit our smallish living room that is 14'X 16' X 7'. You guys haven't let me down yet so fire away.
fishwater
For big sound I'd get some small Spendors or some Diamonds and a Sunfire subwoofer you can put "under the couch."
It strikes me that by the time you get a pair of monitors big enough to make decent bass on stands, the composite is not much smaller than the Vandy's! But I can very highly recommend Harbeth Compact 7's or Spendor 2/3's (the Spendors can be found around a grand). Or do a better job of "negotiating" with your wife and keep the Vandersteens. There must be something she wants... ;=)

Kevin
Totem Hawks; they take up as much room as the Sig. Ones (which are excellent) on the mandatory stands, but put out a lot more bass. They are $2,200 new, perhaps $1200 or so used depending on finish and condition. The cherry finish is quite nice. And for your room size a subwoofer is not necessary.
i think you can see from all the postings here, you'll pretty much have to stumble on a good sollution from trial and error! EVERYONE has different gear, and that's the way it is. You might take a few ideas and run with em, and that's as good as it'll likely get till you figure it out yourself...like every dilligent audiophile
Good luck