My dunlavy scV sound harsh

I have a set of Dunlavy SCV, Proceed 250/channel and an Onkyo pre/pro. The sound is glaasy, harsh. Do I need to replace the tweeter?
128x128mdshualy
Let's begin at square one. Is this a recent problem or has it existed since this particular set of components were connected together? More information is needed before assuming a new preamp is needed or the speakers need to be relocated.

1. If the harshness has been present since first connecting this combination of components, it could very well be the preamp. The quickest answer may come from substituting other components into your system, one at a time. I agree with others, the DALs in and of themselves are the least likely culprit.

2. If the harshness is recent but the system sounded OK previously, then you have some kind of failure or something was damaged. If you have a test CD or anything with a wide range of frequency information, play that after removing the grills. Place an ear close to each driver in each speaker and listen for the obvious harshness. If the drivers are all OK, can you bypass the Onkyo by using a volume control on your CD player and hooking that up straight to your amp? If this sounds fine your problem is in the Onkyo. If you still hear the harshness with the Onkyo out of the system, it is likely in your CD player (do you have another source such as an FM tuner to conduct a similar substitution test?) or your amp.

Some diligent switching in and out should identify the cause of your problem.
John Dunlavy tested all his speakers in a well damped acoustic chamber.Treating the first reflection points with broaband absortion as well as the rear walls is important for a neutral speaker in my bare room (16X19X8)and hardwood floors.
Add a wool or Persian rug for the floor.

I brought home a used pair of SCIII's for several weeks and at first couldn't listen to them for more than half an hour. With the above DIY treatments the brightness was greatly improved.

Also make sure they are on the long wall spaced about 10+ feet apart and seated 12+ft. back. Tow them in so just the inside edges show. The scV requirements may differ for even greater spacing.

A systems can only sound as good or bad as the set up, the Dunlavys are the least of your concerns. The Onkyo is not worthy of the Dunlavy. They are special speakers and deserve far better electronics than even what was comparable price wise to mate with them. Improve your front end, get some room treatment.This is for any speaker you use not just dunlavys. The Dunlavys really the deserve the best components to get the most out of them.