Music Reference RM-200

I want to get a hybrid amp. I've read everything I could on the RM-200 (from forums and the Stereophile article) and everything sounds positive. I don't want to spend more than 3-3.5K used or new. I also am considering a Moscode 401HR, Van Alstine Fet Valve Ultra 550, and Monarchy SE-250 monoblocks.

What I haven't read are too many comparisons of the RM-200 with other amps. Anyone have any comments on what they thought of the RM-200 when they heard it. Better or worse than what? Granted, better and worse are subjective terms and none of the amps I mentioned are slouches. I'd probably be happy with any of them.

Whatever amp I get will mate with Salk Sound V3 speakers (or maybe the HT3 if I can swing the extra cost) and my RAM modified Ack Dack (fed from a Bolder modifed Squeezebox).
kevin_mcdonough
Not to get off of the subject of RM comparing but... I have read someplace where Salk and Van Alstine have been working together on their products . I believe that Van Alstine uses Salk's speakers in his own system and vice versa . Something to think about . Synergy is king in this hobby .

Good luck .
Yes, I've read about the Salk/Van Alstine synergy. I totally agree with synergy as being key. My only hesitation is that the AVA gear doesn't look as nice as the RM-200, I want an amp where I won't feel the need to upgrade, and the reliability is top notch. Although I think the AVA stuff is reliable, I am wondering if the RM-200 is just a better level of amp.

Someone who has had lots of high end gear in his system did a comparison between the Fet Valve Ultra 500 and the Moscode 401HR and came away feeling the Moscode was better in most aspects. Granted, the differences were not great and he felt the AVA amp was really good. I am just wondering if the RM-200 or the Moscode would be a step up.

I currently use the RM200 to drive Acoustat (1's, 2+2's, 3's and 4's) not all at once (lol) for the last 5 years. I have been told that tube amps are not good on these speakers because of the load they demand. The amp does have a hard time with the 1's due to the lack of panels in the speaker. The amp drives them to decent levels but does run out of steam. The RM200 is one of the few tube amps that actually increases its power when going from an 8 ohm load to a 4 ohm load not by much but it does increase.

I go to the CES show every January and I come home thinking I have found the my next amplifier only to turn on my system and realize that the RM200 is doing just fine with these speakers. It does need mentioning that this amp is very easy on tubes. I do role tubes in and out quite a bit (currently using the new KT120 tube) and I have yet to burn any set of tubes up. I have had a couple of tubes fail after just a few hours of use but that I believe was the fault of the tube not the amp. I still have the original tubes that I roll in every once in while, with well over the 2,000 hours that most tube manufactures say is the life expectancy for a power tube. I would highly recommend any of the Music Reference amplifiers. Good luck with your search.........Bob