Music Hall MMF 7.1...cartridge options?

I’m wanting to return to spinning some vinyl after a 20-some year hiatus from an analog source in my system. I’m finding some attractive deals on the Music Hall MMF 7.1 and as a ‘re-entry’ table it fits my budget. I’d like some feed back on a couple of things: (1) general comments the 7.1 and (2) the 7.1 is offered with a cartridge…some ads say the Goldring Eroica H (MC) or the Goldring GL-2400 (MM)…what’s the difference? Or, should I get the table without a cartridge…and then what cartridge would be a good fit? I prefer to buy new…if the vinyl bug really sticks I can sell the newer table and upgrade…or not. Thanks in advance!
128x128mdrummer01
I have loved my MMF 7.1 for several years and don't feel the need to change. The Eroica is a fine cartridge. I routinely check the speed by strobe disc and it is always perfect. The clamp works well. I believe it is a great intro into vinyl for a very good price. I believe it is more important to choose a great phono pre-amp and that it is more important than the platter and as important as the cartridge. I have tried several and have settled on the Graham Slee Era Gold V. Many like the PS Audio. I think it takes as much money for the phono stage as the TT, in my case each about $1000. So, $2000 for TT, cartridge, and phono stage. Lots of opinions out there, this is just one, and I spin more silver discs than vinyl ones but my vinyl setup outshines my digital setup by a wide margin. Have fun and enjoy the music!
I used a Sumiko Blackbird in mine for several years and loved it till the upgrade bug hit.

Search the forum or my posts for how to adjust the VTA for a different cart on that table.
I bought a used MMF-7 (not the 7.1 w/ the carbon arm) about a year ago as my first entry into vinyl. I got it for $650 here, and it was the best thing I did in a long time. I then replaced the Grado Green that was on it with an AT150MLX (again found here for $200) and it is just lovely. I like the previous advise about a good quality phono-pre. That is probably as important as the TT.

One other piece of advise I would add. Get a digital force gage (either here or ebay for not more than $55), download alignment protractors from vinylengine or vinylasylum and learn how to use them, and finally, invest in a good RCM like a Nitty Gritty or VPI.

As always, JMHO YMMV
I have owned an MMF-7 for a couple years. The first thing I did was buy a Herbies TT mat, nice sound quality improvement. Then I got rid of the Eroica HO cart and put on a slightly used Benz Glider HO. That wasn't just a subtle difference, it was dramatic. That's when I finally started to really enjoy what vinyl's all about. Next was adding the Project Speed Box mK II. I cannot stress enough how important it is to have electronically controlled speed. IMO a must have on any TT. And changing 33.3 to 45 RPM at touch of button is sweet. This was another significant upgrade. Just a week ago I received a Rogue Stealth phono pre, Magnum version. Once again a giant leap in sound quality. So I would recommend not getting the Eroica and put on a cart that works with your phono stage. A Benz Glider HO (2.5 mV) will work with MM phono stage and you won't need to change the stock counterweight. Then upgrade as funds come available to you.
Hi, M,

I've been using a mmf-7 with the Pro-Ject 9 aluminum arm for over four years and haven't gotten the upgrade bug yet. (I actually have two mmf-7 'tables.) I did upgrade cartridges though. The Eroica isn't a bad cartridge and if you can get one included for less than $200 it might be worth it. Depends on whether you've got the extra cash to buy a separate cartridge that's equal to or better than the Eroica/2400 and what your phono stage (preamp) can accomodate. I now run low output moving coil cartridges (my preference) but keep the Eroica around as a spare/emergency cartridge.

I agree with Ehaller about the Herbie's mat; it improved overall dynamics and tonal balance and reduced surface noise with my setup. I wasn't quite as impressed with the Speed Box; it may or may not make a big difference. If you have good clean power you may not notice a dramatic improvement, but it is a nice addition.

I also agree with the others about a good phono preamp. It will make a big difference if your current phono stage is on the lower end of the spectrum. And like Tgrisham and Ehaller, I eventually spent about the same price for a phono stage as I paid for the turntable. I started out with a Jolida JD9 and still use it, but the Rogue Stealth is my preferred phono preamp.

The mmf-7.1 with the new carbon arm seems like a good deal compared with other turntables in its price class.

Have fun!
Tom