Moving up from a Node 2i

I want to keep it between 1K and 1500.00, closer to a grand if at all possible. I don't care about onboard DACs, since I have a keen liking for mine. What is out there for a streamer, new or used, that will sound better than the Node when outputting to an external DAC? I like the functionality of the Node, don't want something with a sketchy user interface. But honestly, I think my old Allo Digione (Raspberry Pi) might have sounded a little more organic and fleshed out than the Node.

What say ye, Audiogon?

Oz

128x128ozzy62
I want to get a streaming system put together and was considering the Lumin U1 mini and connect it to a topping D70 DAC. But then I wondered if going from a $2K streamer into a $500 DAC was the right combo, and maybe not the reverse - a $500 streamer and $2K DAC. Not sure what combo would yield the best results while staying at or under $2500. Any combo suggestions? I don't need a CD ripper as I already have all my music ripped onto an SSD.
@m1k3I 
I was just saying to be fair to the Node you would need to do the same to the Lumin as far as the way it outputs. 
If the Node could do USB to DAC it might be different but since it’s limited to SPDIF/Coax/fiber optic to separate DAC the only fair way to judge between the two is use the exact same implementation 

Chris 
Chris,
Totally agree. BTW, appreciate your posts on AVS Forums as well. And, FWIW, I could not tell the difference between the Node 2i via coax and the U1 Mini via coax into the same DAC. Great value in the Node 2i.

But Lumin U1 Mini via USB was a little better than the Node 2i via coax into the same DAC.

Cheers,
Mike
From my limited knowledge of streaming, it’s seems the consensus is USB seems better than coax?
There is probably something wrong about my system, as I love the way my Node 2i sounds, with a older modded Museatex-Meitner DAC. Not so much with the built in DAC.

But to be honest, I locked into the 60's and 70's station and haven't looked back.