Most Emotional Opera Melodies

Every time I watch Pretty Woman, and I can't seem to resist it, I wait for the scene at the opera. That little melody is so powerful. I just know I'm missing some very emotional music because I'm an opera dummy.
240zracer
Mozartrules ...

Wasn't Rigoletto at the Met sensational? We went this past Saturday and absolutely loved it. The only bummer was that we thought that Placido Domingo would be appearing ... as the web-site would lead you to believe. Lo and behold, he does appear ... but he is the conductor!

Fortunately, Villazon and Netrebeko performed as though they are opera's new royalty.

To my earlier list, add:

Anna Moffo "Arias From Faust, etc" on RCA Living Stereo Series ... get the SACD hybrid.

Regards, Rich
Just for fun, here is a list of operas (LPs) that I got from a sale a while back. They smell musty, but the records and boxes are in good shape. Maybe there is a keeper or two.
Flotow: Martha, Erna Berger
Gypsy Baron. Elisabeth Schwarzkopf (ooo...familiar name!)
Handel: Israel in Egypt
Missa Solemnis, Schwarzkopf
Norma, Sutherland
Don Pasquale, Donizetti
Bach, Mass in B Minor, Friederike Sailer
Samual Barber, Vanessa (Metropolitan Opera)
Berlioz, Romeo and Juliet, Boston Symphony
Thousand and One Nights, Herbert Ernst Groh
Rossini, The Barber of Seville, Victoria De Los Angeles
Teatro Alla Scala, Un Ballo in Maschera (Big Box!)
Offenbach, La Periehole, Regine Crespin
Lucia Di Lammermoor, Sutherland (stereo)
I Puritani, Sutherland, also stereo
Suor Angelica, Marilyn Horne
La Forza Del Destino, Warren Elias Tozzi
Gilbert and Sullivan, Iolanthe
Gilbert and Sullivan, Pirates of Penzance, Carte Opera Co.
Teatro alla Scala, Lucia Di Lammermoor
Offenbach, The Tales of Hoffman, Gedda D'Angelo
Gypsy Love, Herbert Ernst Groh
Haydn, Cacelien-Messe, Maria Stader
Charpentier, Louise, Beverly Sills
Now I really feel dumb. I can't tell if I'm typing the name of the opera, or the singer, in some cases. Anyway, I'd be interested in knowing if there is some common thread to these operas. I say that because there is also a box that appears to be every speech given by the leaders of the Third Reich between 1914 and 1939. That one is called Deutschlands Weg in die Diktatur. Any pearls in the list?
The common thread seems to be that they're well-loved works performed by some legendary singers (Schwartzkopf, Sutherland, De Los Angeles, Horne, Warren, Gedda, et al.). There don't figure to be too many duds in this group of albums, and I'd say it's well worth your while to go through them and see what strikes your fancy. There could actually be some real gems here.
Woah. When was the compilation of Hilter's speeches made? There's nothing particularly fascist about your collection, don't worry :)
Don't want to get too far off track, Lousyreeds1, but I did have that thought :) There doesn't seem to be a date on the box or the book. The record label says Ariola Athena 51159X HI-FI. Problem is, I can't read a lick of German, so I'm not sure exactly what I have here. Pictures in the book and pictures on the record jackets are facinating. If you know German, please email me.