Montana Speakers? Have they fizzled out?

They got a lot of press a few years ago, now their flagships are on Audiogon at a small fraction of their cost.

Thanks,
David
deshapiro
I recently acquired a pair of EPX's and the sp-2's for my system. I couldn't be happier. The guy that sold me the sp-2's just sent me an email

"Hi. You probably remember me...I sold you the pair of Montana SP 2 speakers. Well, it is a crazy hobby we have. I missed the Montana SP 2s so much that I bought another pair; SP 3s this time. Just couldnot seem to get a replacement with the midrange and musicality that the Montanas' possessed. Hope you are enjoying yours."

I didn't have the heart to tell him how much better the epx's sound.
I think that the problem with selling them is the large size and shipping logistics. You are talking 150-300lbs per speaker depending on the model. I have no affiliation with PBN but the other 2 sets I have purchased off of a'gon have all come from sellers that were changing the color to match their surroundings. Highly recommended.
FYI -- the WAS's for sale are older so have different cross-overs than the newer WAS's. For full disclosure, this is per someone affiliated with Montana. It always pays to listen before buying, if possible.
I read the question with intrest "Montana Loudspeakers? Have they fizzled out". Well as far as I know, PBN Audio (the manufacturer of Montana Loudspeakers) has grown by leaps and bounds over the past 10 years. Distrbution in 5 country's Various good reviews on multiple models and an average sales growth of over 20% per year (according to stereophile press release a couple of years ago) are quite an accomplishment in the tweeky high end audio business. The Mighty WAS loudspeakers for sale on line are expensive (although quite a deal on the 'Gon) and Quite large! I owned a pair for Three years and still believe they are the best I have ever heard. I played with B&W, Magnapan, Thiel and various electrostats and subs. There is nothing on earth like the Big WAS in a Large room. Alas, I too sold mine. My new dedicated theater 14'6" X 21" was a pressure pot with 4 15" woofers and 500 watts of power. I imagine the gentleman selling his (in a quite elaborate finish I might add) is a little cramped with the monsters in his smallish listening room. BIG speakers need a some room to open up and sing. As for me I have a pair of custom Montana EPX on order. And I can't wait to here them!
Average sales growth of 20%? -- now here's something to test what type of person you are -- take the funds you might invest in one of their models and instead buy into the company -- that is if they are publicly traded.

Got to say -- I think I am much more an instant gratification type and want the speakers. Or maybe I should just say not affluent enough to have all I can dream of!
Hi all. Jamesg quoted my response to him regardng the Montana SP IIs that I sold him. Let me reiterate and say that I did indeed regret selling my SP IIs as these were the most musical speakers I have ever heard; among them dynaudio
Contour 3.4, 1.8 mkII, medowlark kestral & osprey, soliloquy, vienna acoustics, triangle, etc. etc. etc. The defining attribute was (and still is in my opinion) a crystal clear, delicate and truly life-like sounding mid-range. Like Barry Willis wrote in his Stereophile review, "as though the performers were present in the room", at least a paraphrase of it. These speakers, while not forcefull at the lowest bottom octave, have a tight, controlled and body-felt thump, and the highs are smooth and liquid as I have ever heard. I must say that I am quite happy that I sold my SP IIs.....because if I had not I would have never obtained the SP IIIs, for which I got a killer deal in the most beautiful birdseye maple finish. In summary, I believe that I will grow old with these speakers since they provide my the essence of music and the reason why I am into hifi at all. I realize that much of this hobby is subjective likes and dislikes, but my advice is to build a system around the speakers, not the electronics. With the Montana SP IIIs my sytem has come into its own and I am happy as a clam.

Regards to all.