MM vs. MC

If I was looking at a Grado Reference Platinum cartridge, to be played on a VPI Scout & JMW9 tonearm with a Musical fidelity phono stage, How high a quality MC cart and phono stage would I need to better the sound? I have ordered the Scout but am strugling on the cartridge, is MC better?, and if so is the high output MC better than the Grado Platinum, or the Grado Sonata. I only have so much cash, the VPI was $1500.00 the Qunex 3 cable was $150.00 so I have $800.00 left this go around. Any suggestions on the cart, would be great, I have an internal phono stage in my X-150 but it's an MM with 2.5 mv so a lower output MC would require an external phono stage, if this is the way to go, any suggestions on a low output MC and external Phono stage for $800.00 that will be better than the Sonata through the X-150....Help!
flharrisdd0f
Agree with Slipknot on the DV20X HO, This works very well
with the JMW9 and a decent MM stage will take kindly to it. I feed it into a AES PH-1 Phonostage(MM) with very good results.
Post removed 
Thanks to everyone, Have any of you heard anything about the Clearaudio Aurum Beta Mark II?
flharris

In response to your last question, yes I have owned the Clearaudio Aurum Beta, and it is still the best cartridge that I have had in my system.

I recently purchased a new VPI Scout w/JMW9 tonearm and had the Grado 'Sonata' installed. While I do like the Grado, I did and do, still prefer the ClearAudio Beta. I loved its clarity and it just seemed to have more hummph, behind the complex passages on large orchestral and choral passages.

I have also heard good things about the DynaVector DV20X, but I can't speak with the same certainty, as I can with the Grado or the ClearAudio.

Whatever your choice, your turntable purchase was a solid step, in the right direction.

Good luck to you, which ever way you go.

Regards,

AEW
Thanks A_e_watkins, so which one has a blacker background? and which one is a better fit for a basic integreated phono stage. Long range I want the Graham Slee Mark V but the budget for it is two years down the road.