Meridian 800 DVD/CD Version 4

Looking for some advise. I am in the midst of constructing a new office / listening room in my house (Walkout basement). It has been a while since I sold my last house and most of my equipment. The last cd player I have was the Cary 306 SACD. It was the best cd player I have owned but sold it years ago.

So now as I rebuild my system I will be buying a new cd player and a turntable. I am looking at the Small Audio Manufacture (SAM) turntables for under $2K. But my reason for this post is the Meridian 800 DVD / CD, Version 4.

I am able to acquire one for about $1,000.00 and was wondering if this represents good value or is there something else in this price range that would be better. I mostly listen to jazz, old R&B, and some classical music. This setup is strictly a 2-channel only set up and no subwoofer. The room is 12 x 20 with 8 ft ceilings. 

I have a pretty good integrated amp (300 / 600 watts a channel) with newly acquired Canton 3 DC Reference speakers I purchased new. Pervious speakers were Salk HT3 but I really like the sound of the Cantons. 

Thank you in advance for any information. I know there are several posts concerning the Meridian 808 but how does the 800 compared to those units.

Thanks.
revrob
Thank you. For the $1k (shipped) I paid for the V4 I felt this was a no brainer. I know that some people have recommended a new player or a DAC I just don't know if that was the sound I was looking for.

My best CD player owned was the Cary 306 SACD which I should have never sold. They are still selling for a lot more than when I sold mine 5 years ago.

I have come to the conclusion as I have gotten older that newer isn't necessarily better. Just bought NOS Canton 3 DC speakers and I can tell you they are reference level and I don't believe I could have bought a new speaker for $3.4K shipped (originally $16k). YMMV
After living with the Meridian 800 DVD/CD for almost a month I can say this is one of the best CD player out there and for $1k it is an absolutely steal. I just can't see paying much more for a cd player.

The only other player I loved was the Cary CD 306 SACD.

System complete, this one is staying put.

Hi revrob,

Apologies for bringing up an older thread, but, I was wondering, are your comments immediately above regarding 2 channel cd playback, dvd movies, or both?

And, what connection method are you using?  3xSPDIF (MHR Smartlink), HDMI to another unit, 75ohm digital coax..?  Which?  Or, are you using more than one/all of these connection methods?  Appreciate your fuether comments on the sound of each!

Thanks!