Meridian 5xx vs newer lossless systems

I am still wavering between getting a new low end processor like the Emovita UMC-1 or picking up an older Meridian 500 series processor. I believe the Meridian would best the newer units in sound quality for music but what would be the difference in Meridian’s excellent AC-3 decoding verse the newer lossless formats, even from a low cost unit?

Which Meridian unit would be the best value at this time?
brax
Hey Kjweisner,

I just picked up a 562V to go along with my 565. Do you have your gear connected with the Meridian Comms cables? If so, what are the advantages. I have a Haromny remote that can do the switching or is there something the comms hookup adds?
Hey Brax:

Sorry for the delayed response--have been working like a fiend lately and not enought time to check a'gon.

You should definitely be using the comms cable. . . the 565 and 562 will become basically one seamless unit with the comms connected. Essentially, the 562 is your pre with all your sources connected and then converted to a single digital output, which in turn is the entire audio link to the 565. By having the comms cable, your 565 essentially controls the 562. You pick a source on the 565 ("TV") and it tells the 562 which set of inputs to select, etc.

But my guess is that you've already figured this out and this is "old news". If not, and you want to reach me directly, please write to kweisner@embarqmail.com.

Enjoy!
Kjweisner,

I ended up making a comms cable (couldn't find one anywhere) and hooked the units together. They work great hooked together a real must do if you have these units. The Meridians sound great so I have decided not to upgrade to a HD pre/pro for the near future. I am keeping my eye open for a 568.2mm and if run across one at a good price I'll pick it up. Thanks for the reply.
Glad to hear that. I have a 562v/518/565 stack that are also comm linked to a DSP5000c and D1500 subs. The stack is in my media rack and the speakers are on another floor of the house. With everything connected, the center speaker is the receiver for the remote control signals and controls all the 5xx gear downstairs. I keep seeing the price of the 568s dropping, so I think you'll find a good deal soon.