Meridian 5xx vs newer lossless systems

I am still wavering between getting a new low end processor like the Emovita UMC-1 or picking up an older Meridian 500 series processor. I believe the Meridian would best the newer units in sound quality for music but what would be the difference in Meridian’s excellent AC-3 decoding verse the newer lossless formats, even from a low cost unit?

Which Meridian unit would be the best value at this time?
brax
I don’t need much in the way of hookups and no need for video. I run a PS3 as a Blue Ray player/game console/ CD/music server and use the optical cable for that. The video goes directly to the TV via an HDMI cable. I have a second DVD player (for the wife’s use) but could hook up the audio through one of the analog inputs.

The 565’s are running around $550 (just missed one that sold for $350) and the original 568’s around $1,000. Still not sure which one to go for and the price difference is large enough to make me hesitate going for the 568, after all we are talking about a 6+ year old unit that can’t handle the new lossless formats.
Hey Brax:

For connection, you're covered. Optical for the Blu-Ray and if you have a digital coax from the DVD, you're covered there as well.

With that price difference, you're right that the 565 is an easy call. Assuming you don't find a lot of value in using a computer to setup the 568, and don't need balanced outputs, the difference isn't worthwhile IMHO.

FWIW, I think the 568 uses some FIFO digital buffering whereas the 565 did not, but I defy actual humans to truly notice the difference. At least not without a $50k pair of Meridian Digital speakers! As I said, I've lived with a 565 for years and really don't have any motivation to replace it, other than new gear "lust."
Kjweisner,

Well I just bought a 565 with the 7.1 upgrade, can't wait to try it out. Thanks for the advice.
Very cool! If you get stuck during setup, let me know and I'll try to help out. Feel free to email me at kweisner@embarqmail.com.
First, I don’t know what everyone’s talking about, the setup on the 565 was a breeze. I just printed out the manual, READ it and had it programmed in about 15-20 minutes.
Second, the sound is fantastic. Granted, it replaced a Pioneer Elite receiver but the added processing control made a world of difference. My speakers have never sounded so good. The Trifield and Music DSP modes are so good, I never listen to straight two channel anymore. The detailed setup really fine tunes your system to get the best balance and sound. I never watched movies in THX because I didn’t like the sound until the 565. Bottom line is that the 565 is a great unit, even if it’s a little long in the tooth and can be had for a great price in today’s market.