marantz integrated

How good is the marantz pm 8004? I'm in need of a integrated amp to compliment my Marantz sr 5005 and Paradigm 20v5. I posted a similar question earlier but I think it disappered from the forum. I am finding the marantz int. is being sold at almost half the retail price and I was wondering if this would be a good buy. Any other integrated amp suggestions would be welcome also. I have a budget at about $1000 and would like to find something that would be a musical upgrade I could live with for awhile.

To the credit of the sr 5005 it really isn't that bad at music but I know I can do better so thats why I am writing this.

I've been researching and reading as much as I can about the integrated amps within my budget(new and used) that I think I am starting to overload on information to the point I can't decide. The sad thing is what I am really looking for is justification for what I may purchase(how sad).

Thank you for your patients as I ramble on.
wmbode
I have seen the PM8004's sell for 1/2 of list new in a box too. More importantly, I have also heard them. It is an outstanding integrated amp at full price and an unbelieveable bargain at half.

Consider its specs - built in the Marantz reference factory in Japan, 70 wpc into 8 ohm & 100 wpc into 4, >25 amps of peak current and a damping factor of 100. These are solid numbers for amps that costs a lot more. I heard a PM8004 driving a pair of Sonus Faber Liuto Woods and was very impressed with its abilities. Highly recommended!
One of the best bargains in audio these days, no doubt. So, impressed with it that I upgraded to Marantz Ref series
I agree. I have the PM8004 and was surprised at its great imaging (using CD) and lush sound. Especially good with jazz. I find the treble, upper mid at times recessed and leaves me wanting but it is very pleasant and enjoyable to listen to. VERY quiet with a low noise floor. Built in Japan next to the ref. series I am told. Solid and well built. Jury is still out on the phono stage but only because I haven't had the time to trim up some vinyl.day67