Manley Chinook

In Dec 2015 I purchased a Manley Chinook SE from Upscale Audio.  The box I received and serial number stated a SE version but it was actually the standard version.  Kevin D. asked if I wanted to return for the SE model and we agreed that he would send me the Philips PCC88 tubes instead.  This weekend when I went to the room for a listening session once I powered up the Chinook a loud hum persisted.  I checked all connections and they were good.  Changed the tubes - still hummed.  Changed the ICs - still hummed.  Moved to another audio setup - still hummed.  But, after being on for about 30 minutes the hum lessened but a scratchy/crackly sound could be heard in the background.  Yesterday I sent it back to Manley for diagnosis.  I estimate there is less than 20 hrs use.  When I bought this unit I did my research and felt that this would be a workhorse with no problems.  Has anyone else experienced this type of phenomena with the Chinook.  I have hooked my VPI TT back up to my onboard phono stage on my McIntosh C2300; as good as the Mc is I miss the Chinook.
miner42
I wouldn't be too thrilled @sschmidt if I spent several $K on a preamp, had issues, sent it back and had to sit tight for a quarter of a year so my unit could be the guinea pig..Why wouldn't they just send a new unit...or perhaps a loaner?
I have a used Chinook (purchased from audiogon seller) without noise issues. I also purchased a used Manley Shrimp preamp that I sent to Manley for the upgrade to Jumbo Shrimp (took about 3 weeks). Great company to deal with. Warranty and after-market support is often an overlooked factor when considering a brand.

@asp307, My friend was the person in contact with Manley. He was pleased with the service at Manley and loves his Chinook.

@sschmidt Then that is all that matters. Glad it worked out for your friend.
Miner...I have a chinook, bought it from Audiogon member used. Had it connected to a VPI Prime with an Ortophon Bronze MM. Everything sounded great!  I then bought an Ortophon Cadenza Bronze to experience the MC world. This necessitated I remove the cover and move the dip switches. In my eagerness to hear the new cartridge I placed the cover on and spun a favorite record. Wow...a tremendous hum now and I of course assumed it was my cartridge right. So I tweaked it, reset it, etc etc. still a loud hum. I was pretty concerned and thought it must be the Chinook?  So I re-screwed in all the cover screws since I had just laid the cover on. Thought I would try it again before I sent it to Manley. Well.....NO hum. It was humming/resonating because the cover screws weren't in!  So with all this said since you removed the cover to replace the tubes make sure you re-screw the top down before listening. Good luck...I love the Chinook!