Maggies and Subwoofer...again

Well, I've had the Martin Logan Abyss sub for a couple of days and let it break in just a bit next to my utterly un-broken-in Magnepan 1.6/QR's.

So here's the deal. This is a very musical sub. My expectations from ML have been met and I wouldn't expect less from them. It makes sense that the ML subs work great with the Maggies considering they build a speaker with many of the same strengths and weaknesses. I have the sub running from the amp to the high level inputs which sounds better than the outs on the Pre (once again).
Setting the sub at 30HZ crossover I'm getting a not perfect, but pretty satisfying blend. And I have the gain on the sub just up a little, so we're talking about just a bit of fill for the 2 channel music. The driver of the sub seems lightning quick and at least as quick as the Vandersteen I auditioned. But dare I say that the Abyss seems a bit tighter and refined? It could also be my room, but suffice to say that the Abyss is a good match for the 1.6/QRs and a great deal for about a grand. My other sub is a big water-heater SVS, used for home theater. I set it up on spikes and it's not in the same league at the Abyss, but again, much better than I expected. The SVS weakness (asside from being ported) is that the crossover lowest setting is 40HZ. Once the Maggies break-in their bass will mix in with the SVS too much. The Abyss, as I said, can be set to 30HZ which makes more sense for speakers like the Maggies.

So now the question becomes....do I keep the Abyss or do I trade it back for a PAIR of Martin Logan Dynamo's. The Dynamo is a smaller 10 inch driver model, but it's built the same way. Someone somewhere implied that it was sonically inferior to the Abyss, but actually they are just about the same, expect in output. The little Dynamo is quite musical as well and TWO of them might be a better pick over ONE Abyss.

Comments and ideas welcome!

R.
robbob
I went all of the various routes with my MG 3.6Rs and now my MG 20Rs from active biamping with large Adcoms and now Odyssey Stratos Extreme Monobloc SE's with a Bryston 10B active Xover, plus various tubes on top and big SS on the bottom all providing various levels of integration and success. I recently aquired a Spectron Musician III SE class D amp @ 600 watts per side (800/side into the 4 ohm 20R maggies) and the speakers just came alive. I will soon be trying a pair of Spectons MIII SE's operating in an active configuration (one amp per side operated in "bridged mode" which is said to deliver ~ 2000 watts per side into the 4 ohms which I have heard rumored is very special. I also will try the two amps in conventional , one on top one on bottom with the Bryston 10B active Xover. Incidently I am also running a REL Stentor III full range along side the 20Rs currently cutting off ~ 28HZ on down with very good integration.
Bbro, I'm really impressed! Your power company must love you :-(

How big is your room? How is the integration of the REL with the MG 20R's?
Because your area of concern with respect to one or two subs is strictly music, I would suggest the answer depends primarily on your room's effect on the eveness of bass response from a single sub at you listening position.

The great advantage of multiple subs is in dealing with room nulls. If you do experience nulls, then a second sub can provide fill because you should be able to position it to have a peak in the range of the null from the other.

Cheers,

Gary