Looking for good quality vintage speakers

Anyone know anything about DCM KX-10s...I keep looking on craigslist for some old vintage speakers...I just don't know what to get...there's so many on there.

**CASEY**
brothercasad
Which Snells? What's your budget?

Ed and I are in sync on this one. Although there are few true classics out there, most seriously designed and built speakers today are more linear, have better control of cabinet resonances, have much better inner detail and low-level resolution, more true bass extension, better treble extension with far better dispersion (this one is SO easy to verify--a lot of highly regarded speakers from the '70s and even '80s rolled off at about 15KHz; many today extend out to 30KHz), better sensitivity, better power handling, better dynamics, and in smaller, more affordable packages.

For example, the PSB Image 25 compact stand speaker at $479/pair has a midrange-to-treble smoothness and linearity that would have been considered unachievable in anything but a cost-no-object speaker 15-30 years ago. Mini-monitor size, usable bass extension down to 45 Hz at least, anechoic sensitivity at 89dB or 91dB in-room. That means it only takes 1/4 the amp power to hit the same loudness as those classics from the '70s such as the AR 3a and the Dahlquist DQ-10.

If you have more money and want more bass extension, just move up the PSB Image line. They make T-45, T-55, and T-65 floorstanders. A twice the B-25's price, the PSB T-55 Image Tower is 93 dB efficient (like doubling your amp power again), has true deep bass that extends down into the low 30's. It can also handle about 70% more power than the B-25. This provides a tremendous dynamic range, both louder and softer, than the B-25.

In the vintage days, American speakers pretty much ruled. There are still some very excellent American speakers, but it's really hard to beat the price/performance value of speakers from Canada, such as Paradigm, Mirage, Energy, PSB, and Totem.
I agree with Johnnyb53, speakers out of Canada right now have a very good price/performance value. If you are in the USA it is best to buy American (or Canadian) with the current value of the dollar. Over seas pricing is going through the roof. It is not a problem though... American speakers are still king of the hill in my book. Brands like Thiel and Wilson come to mind. Sadly though many of the American prices are ski rocketing too....

What is your budget? For the types of music you listen to I have a good feeling you would really like Paradigm Studio 100s. They have solid bass (a touch over done) with a clear/clean/flushed out midrange. Some say the highs are a little harsh but I did not think so. Used they range from $1,000 to $1,500. IMO the Studio 100s play well out of there price range.
I'm not sure exactly what Snells he's planning on selling me...he said they'd be around $200. That's kind of my price range for now $200 - $300. I'd like to stick with the whole vintage setup. This will be going in my vintage clothing store and I like the whole aesthetics of having an old system in the midst of all my old clothing. Maybe I'm crazy...let me know if that helps anymore...thanks again everyone!

**CASEY**
If vintage buy Altecs I just picked up another pair off craigslist look beat up spend 2 hours cleaning refinishing cabinets speakers are working looking great. Some vintage doesnt need repair. These have corigated surounds and are near the same condition as new in the mid 60s.
I disagree with most of the posters. There are a few vintage speakers that can, from a musical standpoint, best many of todays high price offerings. The Large Advents come to mind as one. As for repairs, several foam kits are available with simple instructions on how to maintain the voice coil alignment.
Check Ebay, or better yet, visit a few garge sales. You might get lucky.
Good luck.